Point Grey Battery (1914, 1939 - 1950/1968), Vancouver
Located on Point Grey at the University of British Columbia, in the vicinity of the Museum of Anthropology. In WWI two 60-pounder field guns were positioned here. In WWII two 6-inch MK7 guns were initially emplaced here on temporary mounts, soon replaced by three 6-inch MK7 guns on MK2 mounts. One source makes a reference to Fort Grey in WWII. Placed in caretaker status in 1948. In 1950 the barracks were used as extra dormitories for the students of the University of British Columbia (aka "Fort Camp"). The Battery OP was used as a military radio transmitter station until the 1960's. The reservation was transferred to the province in 1968. One gun position and the cantonment area were demolished in 1973 for the construc-
tion of the museum. The other two gun positions still remain at each end of the museum. The examination gun (1939 - 1942) was a 6-pounder Hotchkiss gun. A 3.7-inch AA gun was on the point some distance from the fort. Two additional AA guns were also in the area. Two searchlights were positioned on the beach (concrete towers and powerhouse still remain).
An excellent contender for the RCN surface ship replacement program would be the German MKS (Mehrzweckkampfschiff) 180, a modular frigate of 5,000 tonnes and designed to operate in low threat environments such as NATO, counter narcotic, piracy and terrorism missions (which look like they will be a fixture for the RCN role in the future). With G7 member Canada having defence spending at Third World levels, this would probably be the "best bang for the buck"
to maintain force levels.