Six­ties Scoop Sur­vivor?

You may be el­i­gi­ble for com­pen­sa­tion. Please read this no­tice care­fully.

Reader's Digest (Canada) - - Editors’ Choice - WANT MORE IN­FOR­MA­TION? Visit six­tiess­coopset­tle­, call 1-(844)-287-4270, or email six­tiess­coop@col­lec­ DO YOU KNOW ANY OTHER SUR­VIVORS OF THE SIX­TIES SCOOP? Please share this in­for­ma­tion with them.

A set­tle­ment has been ap­proved be­tween the Fed­eral Govern­ment of Canada and cer­tain sur­vivors of the Six­ties Scoop that pro­vides com­pen­sa­tion for loss of cul­tural iden­tity for cer­tain sur­vivors.


The set­tle­ment in­cludes peo­ple who:

• are reg­is­tered In­di­ans (as de­fined in the In­dian Act) and Inuit as well as peo­ple el­i­gi­ble to

be reg­is­tered In­di­ans; and

• were re­moved from their homes in Canada be­tween Jan­uary 1, 1951 and De­cem­ber 31,

1991 and placed in the care of non-Indige­nous foster or adop­tive par­ents.

Those who meet the cri­te­ria above will be in­cluded in the set­tle­ment as “Class Mem­bers”. All Class Mem­bers, ex­cept those who validly opt out, are el­i­gi­ble for com­pen­sa­tion.

In ad­di­tion, all Class Mem­bers, ex­cept those who validly opt out, will be held to the terms of the set­tle­ment and cov­ered by the re­leases in the set­tle­ment. WHAT DOES THE SET­TLE­MENT PRO­VIDE? (a) com­pen­sa­tion will be avail­able for all Class Mem­bers who were adopted or made per­ma­nent wards and who were alive on Fe­bru­ary 20, 2009; and

(b) a foun­da­tion will be cre­ated to en­able change and rec­on­cil­i­a­tion. The man­date and gov­er­nance of the foun­da­tion will be de­fined through a con­sul­ta­tion process with sur­vivors across the coun­try. The work of the foun­da­tion may in­clude pro­vid­ing ac­cess to heal­ing/ well­ness, com­mem­o­ra­tion and ed­u­ca­tion ac­tiv­i­ties for all com­mu­ni­ties and in­di­vid­u­als im­pacted by the Six­ties Scoop – in­clud­ing those out­side of the de­fined “Class.” HOW DO I GET THIS MONEY? To make a claim for money, you must fill in a Claim Form and send it to the claims of­fice by

Au­gust 30, 2019. Copies of the Claim Form are avail­able at six­tiess­coopset­tle­

You do not need to pay a lawyer to com­plete the form. The ad­min­is­tra­tor will help you fill out the form and there are lawyers you can speak with free of charge.

Also, if you do not have papers from the rel­e­vant pro­vin­cial or ter­ri­to­rial child ser­vice agency doc­u­ment­ing your place­ment in care or doc­u­ment­ing your sta­tus, you should still com­plete the Claim Form. The ad­min­is­tra­tor will make the nec­es­sary record checks for you as needed. HOW MUCH MONEY WILL I GET? Your pay­ment will de­pend on how many El­i­gi­ble Class Mem­bers sub­mit claims in the set­tle­ment. The range of com­pen­sa­tion will likely be $25,000 - $50,000.

The details are ex­plained in the set­tle­ment agree­ment. A copy of the set­tle­ment agree­ment is avail­able at six­tiess­coopset­tle­ WHAT IF I WANT TO EX­CLUDE MY­SELF FROM THE SET­TLE­MENT? If you want to ex­clude your­self from the set­tle­ment, you must opt out of the class ac­tion by Oc­to­ber 31, 2018. If you opt out, you will not be en­ti­tled to any com­pen­sa­tion from the set­tle­ment and your claim against Canada in re­spect of the Six­ties Scoop will not be re­leased. A copy of the Opt Out Form is avail­able at six­tiess­coopset­tle­

If you have com­menced a le­gal pro­ceed­ing against Canada re­lat­ing to the Six­ties Scoop and you do not dis­con­tinue it on or be­fore Oc­to­ber 31, 2018, you will be deemed to have opted out of the set­tle­ment.

Im­por­tant Note: The set­tle­ment does not in­ter­fere with any Class Mem­ber’s abil­ity to pur­sue le­gal pro­ceed­ings against prov­inces or ter­ri­to­ries or their agen­cies for phys­i­cal, sex­ual, or psy­cho­log­i­cal abuse suf­fered as a re­sult of the Six­ties Scoop.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.