The words in this month’s quiz come from the book Favorite Words of Famous People by Lewis Burke Frumkes. Turn the page for answers—and
to see which notable names picked these terms for top billing. 1. plangent ('plan-jent) adj.—
A: flexible. B: very loud. C: carefully detailed.
2. ruckus ('ruh-kuhs) n.— A: backpack. B: melee. C: dry gully.
3. vermilion (ver-'mil-yun) n.—
A: ten-figure number. B: moth larva. C: bright red.
4. chthonic ('thah-nik) adj.—
A: of the underworld. B: frozen solid. C: having sharp claws.
5. gormless ('gorm-les) adj.— A: nonflowering. B: lacking firm shape. C: stupid.
6. interstitial (ihn-ter-'stih-shuhl) adj.—A: beyond our solar system. B: in the spaces between. C: joined by stitches.
7. unilateral (yoo-nih-'la-tuh-ruhl) adj.—A: one-sided. B: in alliance with. C: flat.
8. palimpsest ('pa-lehmp-sehst) n.—A: spotted pony. B: leg brace. C: written-over document.
9. beguiling (bih-'guy-ling) adj.— A: twisted together. B: complementary. C: cleverly deceptive.
10. lambent ('lam-buhnt) adj.— A: easily dissolved. B: submissive. C: luminous.
11. incarnadine (ihn-'kar-nuh-dine) adj.—A: flesh-colored. B: reborn. C: not digestible.
12. phosphorescent (fos-fuh-'rehsent) adj.—A: of ocean depths. B: glittering. C: soapy.
13. ramshackle ('ram-sha-kuhl) adj.—A: barnlike. B: rickety-looking. C: falsely imprisoned.
14. pixilated (pick-suh-'lay-ted) adj.—A: grainy or blurry. B: elfin. C: mentally unbalanced.
15. qua ('kwah) prep.—A: in the capacity of. B: starting from. C: in the immediate neighborhood of.