Fire crew quickly douses blaze in asphalt tank at bypass work site
An asphalt tank used in construction for the Regina Bypass caught fire Thursday.
At approximately 7:30 p.m., Regina Fire & Protective Services received a call about an asphalt tank on fire on the Trans-Canada Highway near Pinkie Road.
“We had a malfunction on a heater that started a bit of a fire in our asphalt tank and we immediately contacted the fire department. They came and extinguished it,” said Garrett Doyle, area manager for the Regina Bypass.
Crews were on scene by 7:45 p.m. and quickly extinguished the fire using a dry powder extinguisher.
“The guys spotted it pretty quick and then the protocol is that we call the emergency services to deal with it,” Doyle said.
The tank contained bitumen, which is a thick kind of tar fuel. It is mixed with stones while hot to make asphalt, which is then spread onto roads.
The tank is a mobile unit and is out of commission until it is inspected and certified for use again. It is owned by a subcontractor working on the Bypass.
We had a malfunction on a heater that started a bit of a fire in our asphalt tank and we immediately contacted the fire department.