Men con­victed of Reno Lee mur­der have un­re­lated charges dropped

Regina Leader-Post - - CITY + REGION - HEATHER POLISCHUK hpolis­chuk@post­ twit­

Days af­ter Reno Lee was con­fined and shot to death in a Regina base­ment, it was al­leged a then31-year-old woman was kid­napped and held against her will by the same three men since con­victed in Lee’s death.

But on Fri­day — with An­drew Bell­garde, Bron­son Gor­don and Daniel Theodore now serv­ing life sen­tences for Lee’s first-de­gree mur­der — the Crown brought an end to pro­ceed­ings in the kid­nap­ping case by fil­ing writ­ten stays. Trial dates had been set for the lat­ter part of May and early June on charges that in­cluded kid­nap­ping and un­law­ful con­fine­ment of the woman on April 22, 2015.

Gor­don faced ad­di­tional charges from the same date, in­clud­ing as­sault caus­ing bod­ily harm, use of a firearm (a sawed-off shot­gun) while com­mit­ting a forcible con­fine­ment, pos­sess­ing a firearm while pro­hib­ited from do­ing so by court or­der, and sev­eral other firearms-re­lated charges. Gor­don and Theodore also faced al­le­ga­tions they breached court-im­posed con­di­tions.

The three men stood trial ear­lier this year on charges re­lated to the April 16, 2015, death of Lee, with a jury find­ing all three guilty of first-de­gree mur­der. Bel­le­garde and Theodore were also con­victed of of­fer­ing an in­dig­nity to hu­man re­mains in con­nec­tion with the dis­mem­ber­ment of Lee’s body af­ter his death.

All three have since filed ap­peals. Wit­nesses tes­ti­fied Lee was ini­tially con­fined at Gor­don’s apart­ment be­fore be­ing taken to a house where he was bound in the base­ment and even­tu­ally shot twice in the head. Bags con­tain­ing his dis­mem­bered body were found in a shal­low grave on the edge of the Star­blan­ket First Na­tion later that month.

The in­ci­dent in­volv­ing the 31-year-old woman was said to have taken place less than a week af­ter the homi­cide. Ac­cord­ing to in­for­ma­tion re­leased by the Regina Po­lice Ser­vice at the time, the in­ci­dent was re­ported to have be­gun at a res­i­dence on the 2100 block of An­gus Street, con­tin­u­ing on the 4400 block of Pasqua Street be­fore re­turn­ing to the orig­i­nal lo­ca­tion.

The Crown pros­e­cu­tor in charge of the file could not be reached for com­ment on the rea­son for the stays of pro­ceed­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.