How to Design a Short-lived But High-impact Organization
• Focus on an important, complex problem that must be
addressed but that established organizations cannot handle.
• Identify the specific gaps that existing organizations
• Create an organization with a formal governance structure that engages people with relevant expertise and equips them to make decisions that will lead to progress towards the fulfillment of important goals.
• Construct a set of near-term goals against which progress
can be measured.
• Assure that the organization has access to relevant resources
• Relentlessly measure progress against negotiated goals.
• Celebrate successes.
• Execute plans to ‘pull the plug’ by shutting down the
organization when its mission is fulfilled.
• Redeploy assets fast and effectively.
• Manage networks of relationships to support talented
organizational participants as they seek new opportunities.