THIS WEEK IN history
April 30, 1905 April 30, 1923 April 30, 1765 April 30, 1873 May 1, 1837 May 1, 1987 May 1, 1843 May 1, 1917 May 1, 1856 May 2, 1811 May 2, 1786 May 3, 1935 May 3, 1945 May 3, 1860
– John Peters Humphrey, principal author of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (“The Magna Carta of Mankind”) is born in Hampton.
– The hydroelectric dam at Musquash breaks “with a crashing that surpassed the loudest thunder,” washing out everything in its path – houses, barns, roads and bridges.
– Sunbury County is established as the northern-most county of Nova Scotia, encompassing most of present-day New Brunswick.
– Fredericton City Council approves James Tibbetts’ application to erect a sawmill on “The Green“below Christ Church Cathedral. Citizens are outraged and succeed in cancelling the project.
– Major-general Sir John Harvey is appointed Lieutenant-governor of New Brunswick. A popular and diplomatic leader, a dispute with the United States over the boundary line with Maine is brought to a peaceful settlement through his tact.
– The Balsam Fir (Abies balsamea) is proclaimed the provincial tree for New Brunswick, by an Order-in-council.
– New Brunswick’s first official coins, the Penny and Halfpenny Copper tokens, commence circulation. Before this date prices were quoted in New Brunswick currency, although Spanish, British or American coins were actually used.
– Prohibition commences in New Brunswick, making the sale of liquor unlawful – except for “medicinal, scientific, sacramental, and mechanical purposes.” This law remains in effect for 10 years.
– The Town of Woodstock is incorporated.
– Henry Chubb begins the “New Brunswick Courier” newspaper in Saint John. The Courier becomes a training ground for many prominent newspapermen, and champions the rights of the elected Assembly during the struggle for Responsible Government in the 1830s.
– The first libel trial in New Brunswick begins in Saint John. Printers William Lewis and John Ryan are charged with publishing inflammatory articles. They are found guilty by a jury, fined and made to post a security bond against future infractions.
– Bathurst’s Sir James Dunn becomes Chairman and President of Algoma Steel.
– The Town of Rothesay is incorporated.
– “The Woodstock Journal” cries foul after discovering that local politician and postmaster Charles Connell has replaced Queen Victoria’s head on the new five-cent stamp with his own face. Connell later resigns his post in disgrace.