THIS WEEK in history
June 4, 1936 – The wreck of C.N.R. Engine #1218 occurs on route between Newcastle and Devon, resulting in the death of engineer Murray Hoyt.
June 4, 1904 – “Sage-femme d’acadie,” nurse and midwife Edith (Branch) Pinet, is born in Burnsville. Over her 40-year career as a practising midwife, Pinet delivers more than 3,000 babies in the region of Paquetville – including singer Édith Butler.
June 4, 1903 – Motivated by a desire to improve the poor salaries and working conditions for teachers throughout New Brunswick, the Albert County Teacher’s Union undergoes a name change to become the New Brunswick Teachers’ Union.
June 4, 1726 – The 1725 Treaty of Peace and Friendship is ratified at Annapolis
Royal, N.S., by the Mi’kmaq, Maliseet, Passamaquoddy and Penobscot Nations – reaffirming Wabanahki hunting, fishing and planting grounds.
June 5, 1854 – Great Britain and the United States sign a Reciprocity Treaty, thereby ensuring free entry of British North American wood, fish and farm products into the United States in exchange for American access to the sea fishery along coastal waters.
June 5, 1981 – The first teachers’ strike occurs in New Brunswick; 1,000 teachers demonstrate outside of the Legislative building, demanding a 37 per cent wage increase over 27 months. A tentative settlement is reached on the weekend, and classes resume Monday.
June 5, 1882 – John Mitchell Lyons, of Moncton, patents the Separable Baggage Check, a coupon ticket method still used today in bus, train and air travel.
June 6, 1987 – The Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, a regional development agency with a mandate to assist businesses in creating opportunity and employment, is established with an annual budget of $200 million.
June 6, 1944 – D-day invasion of Europe (“The Scarlet Dawn”) includes the 3rd Canadian Division – 7th, 8th and 9th Canadian Brigades. The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment lands at Saint Aubinsur-mer, a tiny village on the French coast of Normandy.
June 6, 1919 – The Canadian National Railways Corporation is created by a federal Order-in-council, merging several railways – including the Intercolonial, Grand Trunk, and Canadian Northern.
June 7, 1984 – “L’acadie Nouvelle” commences publication in Caraquet.
June 7, 2002 – Following the passage of a new Official Languages Act, Premier Bernard Lord pays tribute to former premier Louis J. Robichaud, whose government in 1969 established the original act making New Brunswick the first bilingual province in Canada. June 8, 1911 – Opening in Shediac of the Sisters of Providence Hospice – a shelter for the homeless and infirm.
June 9, 1817 – The cornerstone is laid for the first brick building in Saint John, built by John Nutting on the corner of Germain and Union Streets.
June 9, 1964 – Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Max Aitken, New Brunswick’s distinguished son and one of the most successful businessmen to emerge from the Maritime provinces, dies in Surrey, England.
June 9, 1744 – Joseph Mathurin Bourg, the first Acadian to take holy orders, is born at River Canard, N.S. Upon ordination at Montreal in 1772, Father Bourg is appointed missionary to Acadia and establishes his headquarters at Carleton on Chaleur Bay. June 10, 1783 – Royal instructions are sent to Nova Scotia directing the governor to grant lands without fee to Loyalist settlers. Non-commissioned officers receive 200 acres, while privates and other heads of families are given 100 acres.
June 10, 1785 – Joseph Daigle and 24 displaced families from Sainte-anne-despays-bas (Fredericton) obtain permission to settle at Madawaska. After travelling 10 days by canoe, they reach the rich interval land of the upper St. John (Saint-david, Maine, and Saint-basile).