Neighbours help celebrate church anniversary
St. Ann’s Anglican Church in Westcock is celebrating its 200th anniversary in 2017 and two nearby residents are helping with the celebrations.
On June 15 starting at 7 p.m. at St. Ann’s Church Hall, the second in a series of historic talks will occur, with the first talk on Grindstone Island having been well received.
Bill Snowdon, local Wood Point historian, will talk about the nearby Wood Point Quarry and the influence it had on the area in the mid- to late-1800s and early 1900s. As recently as the early 1900s, the Read Quarry still employed about 36 men for seven months of the year and the annual output of grindstones Local resident and historian Phyllis Stopps will speak about Second Westcock Hill at an upcoming talk.
and building stones was valued in excess of $15,000.
The second speaker of the evening is Westcock resident Phyllis Stopps. Having done research on Bulmer Pond and the Frosty Hollow Inn, she noted the milling of lumber that was done there and became interested in the area nearby that provided many of those logs.
Her interest has been on searching the archives for information on Second Westcock Hill, an abandoned village located off Highway 106 on the way to Dorchester. The St. Ann’s Anglican Church membership are aware of the sister Anglican Church, St. Stephen’s, built in Second Westcock Hill, in its heyday in 1840. In addition to the church history, which includes the role that Sir Charles G.D. Robert’s played, lumbering, the Intercolonial Railway and farming will all play a part in this presentation.
St. Ann’s Anglican Church is located at 65 British Settlement Rd. in Westcock, N.B.
Those attending the upcoming talk are invited to celebrate 200 years of history with the congregation and to share their stories of the Wood Point quarries and Second Westcock Hill.