A sa­lute to vet­er­ans

Sackville Tribune - - REMEMBRANCE DAY -

Born in 1912 in Eng­land, he im­mi­grated to Canada with his fam­ily in 1927. Join­ing the 8th Cana­dian Hus­sars in 1939, he served as tank com­man­der and fought in the North Africa Cam­paign and the lib­er­a­tion of Sicily and Italy. Dur­ing this time his group of tanks held off a Ger­man ad­vance and for his hero­ism Alf was awarded the Mil­i­tary Medal, pre­sented at Buck­ing­ham Palace in Lon­don by King Ge­orge VI. He later par­tic­i­pated in the lib­er­a­tion of France, Bel­gium and the Nether­lands and was one of sev­eral sol­diers who found, nur­tured and brought home to Canada, Princess Louise, the horse. He was later awarded sev­eral mil­i­tary ser­vice medals. He brought his Scot­tish bride Jean (Richard­son) home to Canada where he was a farmer, and among other things, cre­ated a truck­ing com­pany. Alf and Jean had three chil­dren. Amos Reilly was born in Monc­ton in June 1896. He joined the Cana­dian army in Au­gust 1914 and trained as an ar­tillery gun­ner posted to the 8th Field Ar­tillery Bat­tery with the 1st Cana­dian Con­tin­gent sent to Europe. Amos was wounded and gassed at Ypres, Bel­gium in 1915 but re­cov­ered and fought at the Bat­tle of the Somme in 1916, where he was bay­o­neted and left for dead. He was found and re­cov­ered, but was in­jured again in 1917 when a head wound from en­emy ar­tillery re­quired him to have a steel plate in­serted in his head. While re­cov­er­ing in an English hos­pi­tal in 1918, Queen Mary vis­ited and pre­sented Amos with a medal for brav­ery. Re­turn­ing to Canada he mar­ried his wife Myr­tle (John­son) and the cou­ple lived in Port El­gin with their chil­dren. In his later years Amos was the op­er­a­tor of a gas sta­tion and a mem­ber of Port El­gin vil­lage coun­cil. An­drew Thom­son was born on Feb. 24, 1913. He joined the Cana­dian mil­i­tary and served dur­ing the Sec­ond World War as a trades­man’s qual­i­fi­ca­tions driver me­chanic with Tank “C” troop of the 23rd Anti-tank Reg­i­ment Canada, in the United King­dom, the Cen­tral Mediter­ranean area and in con­ti­nen­tal Europe. Leav­ing the mil­i­tary af­ter the war, he once again joined the army in 1953 and served in Korea as a United Na­tions Peace­keeper, hon­ourably dis­charged for a sec­ond time in 1956. Andy was a ded­i­cated ser­vice­man and for his ser­vice was awarded seven medals, in­clud­ing the UN Ser­vice Medal for Korea. He met his wife Jean El­iz­a­beth (Wood) and the cou­ple

mar­ried in 1946, Ge­orge Hutchi­son was born in De­cem­ber 1929 and spent his early years in the Cape Spear, N.B., area. A coun­try boy liv­ing in Toronto, he joined up for mil­i­tary duty there in Au­gust 1950. Af­ter train­ing stints in Petawawa, Ont., and Wain­wright, Alta., he was as­signed to the Princess Pa­tri­cia’s Cana­dian Light In­fantry (PPCLI), Spe­cial Forces and spent six months in the U.S. be­fore sail­ing for Korea in April 1951, where he saw ac­tive duty dur­ing the Korean War. Ge­orge was a mem­ber of the Black Watch from May 1953 to 1956. He was later pre­sented with medals for ser­vice dur­ing the Korean War as well as for his peace­keep­ing ser­vice. In 2012 he was hon­oured with the Korean Am­bas­sador Medal. He re­tired to his home in Mel­rose, N.B., and passed away in Oc­to­ber 2013. Born in P.E.I. on June 4, 1920, Ger­ald McCar­ron en­rolled in the Royal Cana­dian Ar­tillery at Char­lot­te­town in April 1940. He said at the time, ev­ery­one else was go­ing, he thought he would, too. Ger­ald served in the United King­dom, France and Ger­many un­til the de­mo­bi­liza­tion af­ter the war’s end in 1945. He met his wife Thelma (San­der­son), who was a na­tive of East Town House, Hed­don-on­The-wall, New­cas­tle, Eng­land, and they were mar­ried there in May 1945. He was hon­ourably dis­charged with the rank of lance bom­bardier in De­cem­ber 1945 af­ter which he was awarded a num­ber of mil­i­tary awards, in­clud­ing the King Ge­orge Medal, 1939-1945. Ger­ald brought his bride back to P.E.I., but the cou­ple moved with their fam­ily to Cape Tormentine in 1955, where Ger­ald worked for CN Ma­rine un­til his sud­den pass­ing in June 1979. Born in Jan­uary 1920, Guy Tren­holm was 20 years old when he and a num­ber of his lo­cal friends walked into an army re­cruit­ment cen­tre in Port El­gin and joined up in 1940. Af­ter ba­sic train­ing he was sent to Camp De­bert, N.S., where he joined the Cape Bre­ton High­landers. Af­ter train­ing in Eng­land, Guy be­came a Bren gun op­er­a­tor, sail­ing by ship to Italy, where he spent sev­eral months, in­clud­ing fight­ing in the bloody Christ­mas time bat­tle for the city of Or­tona. Re­turn­ing by ship to Hol­land, he took part in the lib­er­a­tion of Bel­gium and Hol­land. Around that time his younger brother Earl was killed in Bel­gium and is buried in the Com­mon­wealth War Graves in An­twerp. Guy re­turned to Canada by ship in late 1945, re­turn­ing home to Port El­gin. He mar­ried Louise (Mur­ray) and the cou­ple had five chil­dren. A track­man, guy spent 32 years with Cana­dian Born in Baie Verte in

De­cem­ber 1914, Hazen Wells worked at a num­ber of jobs in his early years, in­clud­ing truck­ing with his fa­ther, lob­ster fish­er­man and lum­ber­man at Enamel and Heat­ing in Sackville. He en­listed in the Cana­dian mil­i­tary dur­ing the Sec­ond World War, serv­ing from 1941 to 1946. A mem­ber of the air force, Hazen saw ac­tive duty in Eng­land, Bel­gium, Hol­land and Ger­many, later be­ing awarded sev­eral medals and awards for his ser­vice. Re­turn­ing home, he mar­ried Jen­nie (Kirby) and the cou­ple had six chil­dren. Af­ter re­turn­ing from the war, Hazen was a ru­ral postal de­liv­ery­man for 32 years and was also sta­tion agent at the Baie Verte train sta­tion. He was ac­tive in his church and com­mu­nity prior to his death in May 1989. Born in May 1887, Percy Mur­ray was 27 when the First World War broke out; he signed up im­me­di­ately in 1914. Af­ter train­ing in Eng­land he was sent to France as a mo­tor­cy­cle dis­patch rider with brigade head­quar­ters. He fought with the 26th Bat­tal­ion, 5th In­fantry Brigade, Cana­dian Over­seas Ex­pe­di­tionary Force at the Bat­tle of Vimy Ridge in France, where he was ex­posed to poi­sonous mus­tard gas at­tacks from March 3 to June 14, 1917. Af­ter be­ing dis­charged with hon­our from the army in May 1919 with the rank of cor­po­ral, he re­turned home to Mur­ray Cor­ner, later mar­ry­ing his wife Ethel (Field). The cou­ple had three chil­dren. Percy was al­ways plagued with lung is­sues, made worse by the gas at­tacks at Vimy. He lived the rest of his life bat­tling PTSD, with no med­i­cal as­sis­tance. He spent the last few years of his life at a vet­er­ans’ home in Saint John, N.B., where he died in May 1958. A Baie Verte boy, Ralph was born in Novem­ber 1919. He en­listed in the Royal Cana­dian Army Ser­vice Corps in June 1941, serv­ing 46 months in the United King­dom, France, Bel­gium, Hol­land and Ger­many. Dur­ing the war he was a mil­i­tary driver. While in Eng­land, in 1944 he met and mar­ried his wife Alice (Wil­shaw), who was a mem­ber of the British army. Ralph later was awarded a num­ber of mil­i­tary medals for his ser­vice. Af­ter the war the cou­ple re­turned to Canada and set­tled in Baie Verte, later hav­ing three chil­dren. Ralph oper­ated a suc­cess­ful ser­vice sta­tion in Baie Verte and was a much-loved school bus driver for a num­ber of years, prior to his re­tire­ment. He died in De­cem­ber 1978.

later set­tling and rais­ing their five chil­dren in the Baie Verte area. Dur­ing that time Andy worked for many years for the Depart­ment of High­ways. He died in De­cem­ber 1987. Na­tional Rail­ways be­fore his re­tire­ment. He died in Jan­uary 2012.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.