Five people reported dead in mosque shooting
Multiple gunmen opened fire in a Quebec mosque during evening prayers, killing five people, according to multiple reports.
Quebec City Const. Étienne Doyon told reporters that police received a call around 7:55 p.m. on Sunday for a shooting at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec. Doyon said two suspects had been arrested, but refused to provide further details.
Reuters reported that five people were killed. Police tweeted there were deaths and injuries but wouldn’t confirm how many victims there are. The investigation is ongoing.
“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” the mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui, told Reuters.
Yangui was not inside the mosque during the shooting, but he told Reuters that he received frantic calls from from some of the dozens of worshippers who were.
Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale tweeted Sunday he is deeply saddened by the loss of life. His office says no motive has been confirmed.
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard reacted on Twitter by calling it “barbaric violence.”