Your fur­nace isn’t work­ing - what do you do?

Sherbrooke Record - - BROMECOUNTY -

It’s al­ways im­por­tant to make sure that your fur­nace is in good work­ing or­der, but as we pre­pare for the cold weather, the need be­comes that much greater. Af­ter all, your fur­nace is what will help keep your home warm and toasty.

A work­ing fur­nace is also a mat­ter of safety — any is­sues could ex­pose you and your loved ones to dan­ger­ous and deadly car­bon monox­ide.

If you ex­pe­ri­ence a prob­lem, you will need to con­tact a li­censed gas tech­ni­cian. De­pend­ing on what is­sues they find with it or any other nat­u­ral gas pip­ing, vents or ap­pli­ances con­nected to it, you may get a warn­ing tag.

There are two types of warn­ing tags – A and B. An A tag means there’s an im­mi­nent dan­ger of car­bon monox­ide, and for safety your nat­u­ral gas ser­vice will be shut off. If you get a B tag, which means your fur­nace doesn’t pose an im­me­di­ate threat, you’ll be given a few weeks to have it re­paired by a li­censed gas tech­ni­cian.

Find­ing a tech­ni­cian

Web­sites like the Tech­ni­cal Safety Stan­dards and Safety Author­ity and the Heat­ing Re­frig­er­a­tion and Air Con­di­tion­ing In­sti­tute of Canada can help you find a li­censed gas tech­ni­cian in your area.

In most cases, the tech­ni­cian you hire will make the nec­es­sary re­pairs, turn your gas back on and clear the tag by no­ti­fy­ing your nat­u­ral gas util­ity — ei­ther En­bridge Gas or Union Gas.

Find more in­for­ma­tion at: www.en­bridge­­ing­tags


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.