Fire on Col­lege Street

Sherbrooke Record - - LOCAL NEWS - Record Staff

Afire broke out in the garage of a home late in the af­ter­noon yes­ter­day around the 3400 block of Col­lege Street in Len­noxville.

Ac­cord­ing to an eye­wit­ness who was driv­ing by, her daugh­ter, who was in the car with her, saw smoke com­ing from the garage. She and her daugh­ter turned and went back to the home and con­firmed that the garage was in fact burn­ing. The in­formed the own­ers, who were un­aware that a fire had started, and helped them get out of the house to safety.

The wit­ness and her daugh­ter stayed with the cou­ple as fire­fight­ers ar­rived on scene and ex­tin­guished the fire be­fore it spread to the home.

The ori­gin of the fire is thought to have been caused by a cig­a­rette burn on a re­cliner in the garage.

Ac­cord­ing to the wit­ness, the own­ers of the house were not in­jured. She and her daugh­ter left them in the care of first re­spon­ders as soon as the sit­u­a­tion was un­der con­trol.

MATTHEW MCCULLY

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.