Farr pleads guilty to Saugeen First Na­tion man­slaugh­ter

Shoreline Beacon - - Opinion -

Jesse Far, 21, of Saugeen First na­tion pleaded guilty to a re­duced charge of man­slaugh­ter in the may 2015 death of a 66-yearold man, an elder of the com­mu­nity, at a res­i­dence on the re­serve.

ini­tially charged with sec­ond de­gree mur­der, Farr en­tered the plea to the lesser charge nov.24 in Walk­er­ton Su­pe­rior court. he is in cus­tody and will be back in court Jan. 15 to set a sen­tenc­ing date.

at the time of the in­ci­dent, neigh­bours said vic­tim robert John­son of Saugeen First na­tion, had been stabbed by his nephew. Farr was ar­rested later that day by Bruce Penin­sula oPP.

then - chief Ver­non roote told me­dia af­ter the ar­rest that John­son’s death shocked the com­mu­nity. he said he and John­son grew up to­gether and were life-long Saugeen First na­tion res­i­dents.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.