Metis feel left out of ’60s Scoop settlement
OTTAWA — Metis people say they feel left out of the federal Liberal government’s multimillion-dollar settlement with victims of the so-called ’60s Scoop, which saw Indigenous children removed from their homes and placed into the foster care system. Duane Morrisseau Beck, a ’60s Scoop survivor and a director of the National Indigenous Survivors of Child Welfare Network, likened his feelings to when he first learned he was adopted as a child in Manitoba.
“It just brought me right back to when I was six years old,” Morrisseau-Beck said Tuesday of the federal government’s announcement last week. “I still get chills because it really reinforced, sort of, that memory … It goes back to feeling disconnected and not wanted.”
It’s a feeling many in the Metis community know well, he added.
“I have been inundated with Facebook postings and inbox messages asking why we are not included,” he said. “I don’t have an answer to that question.”
The Metis National Council has also been flooded with calls, said president Clement Chartier, who complained of having been left in the dark about the settlement, which commits up to $750 million in compensation for status Indian and Inuit victims.
“I am disappointed that the federal government didn’t ask us or consult us about this whole process and let us know it was happening,” Chartier said in an interview.
“That would have been a reasonable thing to do; at least we would have been able to voice our concerns and determine what are the issues and what do we need to have it resolved and have Metis Nation citizens affected by the ’60s Scoop dealt with.”