Archival Vault Open House
TheOld Stone House Museum opens for the season on May 15. On Wednesdays through Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. through October 15 there will be guided tours of the four story granite museum which is filled with artifacts relating to the history of Orleans County. Originally built as a dormitory for the first secondary school in the county by Alexander Twilight in 1836, the building was purchased by the Orleans County Historical Society in 1916. Archival Vault Open House May 15
This Sunday the museum will celebrate the grand opening of the new archival vault built last year inside an extension of the ell on the Alexander Twilight House. The addition occupies the same footprint and on the outside looks like the original ell of the house, but contains a fireproof, temperature and humidity controlled concrete vault to safeguard the irreplaceable paper and film artifacts which the museum has in its care.
From noon to 4 p.m. there will be an open house at the Twilight House to show off the vault and adjoining workroom which has greatly improved access to the collection. Leslie Rowell will demonstrate the process of cataloguing items in the PastPerfect. database program on the computer. Visitors will be able to look at a few pieces of the Winslow collection of photographs and documents, one of the many collections of papers that the vault protects, which offer a glimpse of 19th century life in Orleans County.
The archival vault addition was designed by James Coe. Spates Construction, Inc. was the general contractor for the project. The steel reinforced concrete vault was constructed by Roger Gosselin, Inc. For additional information phone (802)754-2022