Northern Long Trail Summit
TheGreen Mountain Club today announced the official naming of a summit on the northernmost stretch of the Long Trail as Doll Peak.
The mountain in the towns of Jay and Richford is named after Charles Doll, the University of Vermont geologist who helped cut and blaze the part of the Long Trail and thus completing the grandfather of America’s long distance hiking trails.
“This is a great day for the Green Mountain Club as we finally officially recognize the trailblazing efforts of Charles Doll by naming this beautiful northern Vermont mountain after him,” said Jean Haigh, Green Mountain Club vice president and leader of the Northeast Kingdom chapter of the club. “Doll Peak is a beautiful summit and an essential part of The Long Trail system which has been enjoyed by Vermonters and visitors for decades. The Long Trail has cross Doll Peak for generations but only today is that official.”
The work of creating The Long Trail from Massachusetts to Canada along Vermont’s ridgelines was first dreamed up in 1910 with the establishment of the Green Mountain Club. It was not completed until Charles Doll and Phillips Carleton cut and blazed the final stretch of trail to International Boundary Marker 592.
The club has long referred in maps and guidebooks to this mountain along the trail as Doll Peak which stands 3,400 feet tall. But it was not until recently that that moniker was officially accepted. Doll Peak is 2.7 miles north of Jay and about 8 miles from the Canadian border. The pristine property is owned today by Jay Peak Resort.
On December 23, 2010, the Green Mountain Club submitted a petition to the Vermont Board of Libraries to designate a mountain summit located in the Orleans and Franklin counties as Doll Peak, honoring the memory of former state geologist and emeritus professor at U.V.M., Charles Doll. This petition was officially approved recently by the United States Board of Geographic Names.