Sher­brooke holds off Gaiters come­back in sea­son-opener

Stanstead Journal - - NEWS - Len­noxville Sher­brooke

A pair of sec­ond-quar­ter touch­downs by Si­mon Char­bon­neau-campeau led the Sher­brooke Vert & Or to a 25-23 win over the Bishop’s Gaiters in univer­sity foot­ball action be­fore 3,733 fans at Coul­ter Field. The two Char­bon­neau-campeau scores gave Sher­brooke a 22-7 half­time lead, and they were able to hold off a late Gaiters’ come­back to es­cape with the two-point vic­tory in a game that was halted for 30 min­utes in the third quar­ter due to the threat of in­com­ing thun­der­storms.

Bishop’s took a the lead after the first quar­ter as Jor­dan Heather (Oro­mocto, N.B.) found Ge­off Coven­try (Ot­tawa, Ont.) for a 31-yard touch­down at 10:51, cap­ping a four-play, 75-yard drive for the home side.

The Vert & Or re­gained the lead at the 1:00 mark of the sec­ond, as the first of Char­bon­neau-Campeau’s touch­downs put

Sher­brooke up 13-7. After the Gaiters con­ceded a safety touch, the sec­ond Char­bon­neau-Campeau score put Sher­brooke up 22-7 at half­time.

Bishop’s came out to a strong start after the in­ter­val, as Jor­dan Heather put to­gether an 8-play, 85-yard scor­ing drive, capped by a one-yard run by vet­eran run­ning back John JeanBap­tiste (Ot­tawa, Ont.). His touch­down brought Gaiters to within one score at 22-14, be­fore a 73-yard Dion sin­gle put Sher­brooke back up by nine.

A bizarre play at 11:56 of the third gave Sher­brooke what turned out to be the winning points. Quincy Van De Cruize (Etobicoke, Ont.) took a Dion punt at the Gaiters’ 6-yard line and was stripped of the ball as he was at­tempt­ing to cross the field. The ball bounced into the end zone, where the Gaiters fell on it, giv­ing Sher­brooke a safety touch, and a 25-14 lead.

The game took an­other odd turn at that point, as the teams were im­me­di­ately sent to the locker rooms due to the threat of an in­com­ing thun­der­storm, caus­ing a half-hour de­lay. The show­ers never ma­te­ri­al­ized, but a Gaiter come­back did after the «sec­ond in­ter­mis­sion.» Alex Rivet (Le Moyne, Que.) – on his first pass at­tempt of the game – found Steven Turner (Bramp­ton, Ont.) streaking down the mid­dle of the field for an 84-yard pass-and-run play at 2:09 of the fourth. The two­point con­ver­sion at­tempt sailed just over the hands of Alexan­der Fox (Mon­treal West, Que.), leav­ing Bishop’s down 25-20.

Mid­way through the quar­ter, a 38-yard in­ter­cep­tion re­turn by Steven Adu (Bramp­ton, Ont.) gave the Gaiters the ball on the Sher­brooke 7. How­ever, Bishop’s could only man­age a Mathieu Pa­que­tte field goal, cut­ting the gap to 25-23. The Gaiters had two pos­ses­sions in the fi­nal five min­utes, but were un­able to com­plete the come­back, and Pa­trick Chenard’s sec­ond in­ter­cep­tion of the day with 44 sec­onds re­main­ing put the game away for the vis­i­tors.

The Gaiters out­gained Sher­brooke 384-274, but Sher­brooke made 19 first downs to Bishop’s 18. The Gaiters put up 343 passing yards, while hold­ing the Vert & Or to 214 in the air, but they also com­mit­ted five turnovers, while only forc­ing two by Sher­brooke. As can be ex­pected from a lo­cal ri­valry game, the teams com­bined for 39 penal­ties, with Sher­brooke tak­ing 19 for 130, while Bishop’s went 20 for 170.

For Bishop’s, Heather went 17-for-26 for 213 yards, while Rivet went 5-for-10 for 130 yards after tak­ing over in the fourth. Turner, a 2010 Toronto Argonauts draft pick, had a strong game in his re­turn to Len­noxville, mak­ing six catches for 99 yards and a touch­down. He also posted a team-high 150 all-pur­pose yards.

the Gaiters (0-1) are next in action on Satur­day, Sept. 10 as they host the Con­cor­dia Stingers (0-1). Kick­off is set for 1 p.m., weather per­mit­ting. won dur­ing the Paralympics in China, in 2008, that was taken away from her after the or­ga­niz­ers de­cided to run the race again be­cause of a mul­ti­ple racer crash, this one she can keep. It was the first gold medal won by a Canadian at the event.

With only 250 me­tres to go in the race, Ms. Roy ad­vanced from fourth place to beat Ja­pan’s Wakako Tsuchida and Bri­tain’s Rochelle Woods to the fin­ish­ing line with a time of 1 minute 50.91 sec­onds. “It was great be­cause the race didn’t start out su­per fast. Ev­ery­body was watch­ing to see who would take the lead,” an­a­lyzed Ms. Roy who was tak­ing part in her fifth world track and field cham­pi­onship.

The wheel­chair ath­lete was happy to see that her re­cent train­ing to im­prove her start time had paid off. “I hadn’t re­al­ized that I had im­proved so much un­til I was in the race. I be­gan the race fast and that pro­vided good re­sults.”

Although many Par­a­lympic and wheel­chair cham­pi­onships at­tract small num­bers of spec­ta­tors, this time the 40-year old five­time Par­a­lympic medal win­ner was rac­ing in front of a filled 65,000 seat sta­dium.

After the race, Ms. Roy com­mented how she loved com­pet­ing at con­ven­tional world cham­pi­onships like the one in Daegu, where the sta­di­ums are of­ten filled to ca­pac­ity. “Tonight is prob­a­bly the night with a record num­ber of spec­ta­tors and hav­ing them all cheer for us is just won­der­ful. I think that an event like this is very important for the integration of our sport. It is al­ways fan­tas­tic to en­ter a full sta­dium,” she com­mented.

The 800 me­tre race is a short one for Diane Roy who usu­ally con­sid­ers her- self stronger in the long races and marathons.

At the 2008 Paralympics in Bei­jing, China, Ms. Roy won the gold medal in the women’s 5,000me­tre wheel­chair race. How­ever, a re-run of the race was re­quested by the In­ter­na­tional Par­a­lympic Com­mit­tee after com­plaints by the Aus­tralian, Amer­i­can and Swiss teams be­cause of a crash that in­volved many rac­ers. In the re-run race, Ms. Roy came in sec­ond, tak­ing the sil­ver medal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.