Community celebrates John Boynton
John was born in Georgeville in 1922 a descendant of Capt. John Boynton, who came from New Hampshire and settled in Windsor in 1805. John grew up and still lives in one of Georgeville’s oldest houses.
After schooling in Georgeville, John served overseas with the RCAF during the Second World War as a radar technician. After the war, he graduated from the University of New Brunswick and went on to a forestry career in N.B.
In 1979 he returned to Georgeville, and has been intimately involved in the life of the community ever since – as a long-time secretary of the Community Association of Georgeville, a founding director of the Georgeville Historical Society, a stalwart of GNS and served as its President for a number of years.
Secretary of the McPherson and Village Cemetery Associations, conductor of nature walks, history walks and cemetery tours, it is understandable that John’s research into Georgeville’s history began with trawling through notarial deeds and old issues of the Stanstead Journal to put together the story of his family and Georgeville’s churches. In John’s case countless hours spent in the Registry Office in Stanstead and scouring the Journalled to the publication, between 1987 and 1995, of five volumes of a series titled Heart of a Village. These detail the history of many of Georgeville’s older houses, mostly written by him.
In his 90th year he is still active in both GNS and the Georgeville Historical Society, providing nature-themed centrepieces for the annual Barbara Clift Ski Day dinner of GNS, and designing original and eyecatching floats for GHS for the Georgeville Canada Day Parade
His house is a regular port of call for innumerable visitors in search of information about their ancestors in the area.
Longtime Georgeville resident, John Boynton, was honoured during a Wine and Cheese for volunteers of the community on May 18th.