Con­tin­ued

Stanstead Journal - - NEWS -

wasn’t the first ho­tel on that spot. The Rock Is­land Ho­tel was built in 1846 by the owner-man­ager L.B. Demick. He sold to T. Tay­lor in 1847. It was en­larged and im­proved. In 1850 a Mr. Snelling changed the name of the ho­tel to the Al­bion House. He leased the ho­tel to dif­fer­ent folks af­ter that. Is­rael Laffo (La­fond) was there in 1853. Af­ter the fire that razed the Rock Is­land House in 1915. The name was taken by the then owner of the Al­bion, Alphonse J. Monty. It was in turn de­stroyed by fire in Jan­uary of 1932. Your grand­fa­ther must have been the con­trac­tor that built the new Del Monty on the same spot in 1932. It suf­fered a cou­ple more smaller fires. One in 1968 caused the then own­ers to re­move the up­per floor. It was still a go­ing con­cern in the 50s, 60s and early 1970. It had a good din­ing room and many re­cep­tions were held there and the bar re­mained busy dur­ing that time.) El­iz­a­beth Jay, Green­belt, MD ejay1974@com­cast.net

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.