Dou­ble OT Thriller At Coul­ter Field

Stanstead Journal - - FRONT PAGE - Len­noxville, Sher­brooke

Coul­terField was busy last Sun­day as the Gaiters Lacrosse team (4-0) and the Lady Gaiters soc­cer team (0-4-2) were in ac­tion. The Lacrosse squad topped the Queen’s Gaels 7-6 in over­time while the women’s soc­cer squad fell to the No.5 McGill Martlets (5-0-0) 8-0.

The Lacrosse team was in tough against the win­less Gaels. Queen’s came out fir­ing, jump­ing out to a 2-0 lead be­fore the de­fend­ing Ba­gat­t­away Cup cham­pion Gaiters were able to get on the board. At the end of the first quar­ter the game was knot­ted at 2-2.

Bishop’s would take leads of 3-2 and 4-3 in the sec­ond quar­ter but the Gaels drew even each time. The score would re­main 4-4 as the teams en­tered the fi­nal frame. Queen’s net­ted their fifth goal just two min­utes into the fourth quar­ter and held a 5-4 ad­van­tage un­til the 11 minute mark. Bishop’s scored to tie and again less than two min­utes later for a 6-5 lead. Queen’s pressed late and net­ted the ty­ing tally. They looked to win mo­ments later as they held pos­ses­sion in the fi­nal 30 sec­onds. Gaiters goalie David Bigley (New West­min­ster, BC) came up with two big stops as reg­u­la­tion time came to a close.

The teams played two five minute over­time pe­ri­ods. Both teams had chances but the goalies de­nied any op­por­tu­ni­ties. Alex Hen­der­son (En­niskillen, ON) net­ted what ended up be­ing the game win­ner with less than 30 sec­onds left in the sec­ond over­time pe­riod. Queen’s asked the ref­er­ees for a stick check. The stick was le­gal and the goal stood. The Gaiters held pos­ses­sion and hung on for a 7-6 win. They re­main un­de­feated on the sea­son.

In women’s soc­cer ac­tion the un­de­feated Martlets were dom­i­nant from the get go. They scored goals in the 14th, 17th and 28th min­utes. At half­time their lead was 4-0 and they went on to an 8-0 vic­tory. De­spite the loss Gaiters keeper Molly Bu­choltz (Peter­bor­ough, ON) was ex­cel­lent as she made 17 saves in­clud­ing a cou­ple high­light reel can­di­dates.

The men’s lacrosse team is next in ac­tion for homecoming to­mor­row, Septem­ber 27th at 8:30 p.m. They will host the McGill Red­men on

TheBishop’s Gaiters had a tough night on the pitch on last Fri­day as both rugby teams and the women’s soc­cer team suf­fered de­feats. The rugby teams were at home and fell to McGill while the women’s soc­cer team lost to Laval in Quebec City.

The women’s rugby team (0-4) was the first to kick off at 6 p.m. It was their first home game of the sea­son and they were in tough against the No. 7 McGill Martlets (3-1). The Martlets took con­trol early, scor­ing just over one minute into the game and then again at the six minute mark. They took a 50-0 half­time lead and cruised to a 74-0 win.

The men’s match-up was hotly con­tested as the ri­val Red­men and Gaiters bat­tled. Bishop’s jumped out early as they Coul­ter Field. The game will fea­ture the only two un­de­feated teams in the CUFLA East re­gion. All news pur­ple and white can be found at www. were in front of a bois­ter­ous home crowd for the first time of the year. They took 7-0 and 10-3 leads be­fore the Red­men bat­tled back against the wind to tie the game 10-10 en­ter­ing the half. The early part of the sec­ond half was dom­i­nated by the Red­men as they scored tries at the 44 and 48 minute marks tak­ing a 22-10 ad­van­tage. Bishop’s bat­tled back to pull within one score at 22-15 but McGill an­swered just five min­utes later with the fatal blow at the 69 minute mark. The Red­men won by a fi­nal of 27-15.

In Quebec City, the Lady Gaiters soc­cer team (0-3-2) fell to the Laval Rouge et Or (3-2-0) by a fi­nal score of 7-0. The hosts scored early and of­ten con­trol­ling the en­tire game.

Next up the rugby squads will host Con­cor­dia on Fri­day, Septem­ber 28th in the an­nual homecoming games. The women kick­off at 6:15 p.m. with the men to fol­low.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.