Bishop’s Falls To Red­men In RSEQ Fi­nal

Stanstead Journal - - SPORTS - Sher­brooke, Len­noxville

TheBishop’s Gaiters men’s bas­ket­ball team trav­eled to Mon­treal on Satur­day, March 2nd, 2013 to face the McGill Red­men in the RSEQ cham­pi­onship. The ca­pac­ity crowd in Currie Gym­na­sium was sup­port­ive and en­thu­si­as­tic to­wards both sides. The game was hard fought for the full forty min­utes. McGill won 77-74 and took the RSEQ gold medal while Bishop’s set­tled for sil­ver.

Tim Hunter (Baie D’Urfe, Que­bec) opened the first quar­ter for the Gaiters with a three but Vin­cent Du­fort (Smith Falls, On­tario) an­swered with one of his own for McGill. McGill col­lected three early fouls af­ter just two min­utes. Bishop’s took ad­van­tage and shot well as they grabbed an early lead on the Red­men. Hunter made four shots from be­yond the arc, which brought the large con­tin­gent of Gaiters fans to their feet and gave the Bishop’s a 23-14 lead af­ter the first quar­ter. Bishop’s dom­i­nated the sec­ond quar­ter and length­ened their lead. Mike An­drews (Oakville, On­tario) scored at will for the Gaiters and ended the half with 11 points. Jonathan Ber­millo (Mon­treal) added two threes in the frame. Bishop’s shot for 46.9 per­cent from the field in the first half. Hunter had 15 points at half­time mark, all from be­yond the arc. Bishop’s took the sec­ond quar­ter 19-14 and were up at half 42-28.

Te’Jour Ri­ley (Hamil­ton, Ber­muda) gave McGill the first points of the third quar­ter. Jeremy LeonardSmith ( Ot­tawa) an­swered for Bishop’s with a three. McGill found their pace as the game started to turn in their favour with five min­utes left in the third. Both teams were in foul trou­ble and shoot­ing bonus with 4:20 re­main­ing in the quar­ter. The Red­man cut the lead to four with one minute to play, the clos­est the game had been since the first quar­ter. McGill won the third quar­ter 27-19. The score af­ter three in­tense quar­ters of play was 61-55 Bishop’s.

Bishop’s tried to es­tab­lish their lead again as On­nex Black­wood (Scar­bor­ough, On­tario) had a stel­lar put back as the shot clock ex­pired to ex­tend their lead to seven early in the fi­nal frame. The Gaiters had a strong pur­ple crowd be­hind them but the com­bi­na­tion of foul trou­ble and hot McGill shoot­ing won out. Scott Ring (Ot­tawa) fouled out and McGill rarely missed in the fi­nal min­utes. The Red­men’s Adrian

TheCon­cor­dia Stingers trav­elled to Sher­brooke last Wed­nes­day night to play in the Bishop’s Gaiters in an RSEQ semi­fi­nal. It was the first play­off game that Bishop’s hosted in seven years. The Gaiters pulled out a tight win over the Stingers 70-63 in front of a packed Mitchell Gym­na­sium.

The Stingers started off the semi-fi­nal with eight unan­swered points. Tim Hunter (Baie D’Urfe, Que­bec) drained a three pointer to put the Gaiters on the score­board. Bishop’s grabbed mo­men­tum and pulled ahead of Con­cor­dia 15-11 with three min­utes left in the first quar­ter. A three pointer by Con­cor­dia’s Kyle Hynes-Guery (Mon­treal) was fouled while shoot­ing a three with 5:08 re­main­ing. He made all three free throws to tie the game at 65. Bishop’s was up by two with just over a minute left but Hynes-Guery drained a three to give McGill the lead 75-74. The Gaiters missed a layup and com­mit­ted a foul send­ing the Red­men to the line. McGill held on to win the RSEQ gold medal 77-74.

Top scorer for the Gaiters was An­drews with 22 points and seven re­bounds. Hunter in his last game in a Bishop’s uni­form fin­ished with 17 points and three re­bounds. Leonard-Smith contributed 14 points and four boards. High scorer for the Red­men was Hy­nesGuery with 24 points. Simon Bibeau (St. Bruno, Que­bec) had 12 points and Du­fort had nine points and 10 re­bounds.

McGill moves on to the CIS Cham­pi­onship in Ot­tawa while the Gaiters fin­ished the sea­son with their best re­sult since 2004.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.