Many changes at Colby-curtis Museum
The Colby-Curtis Museum will be inaugurating the beautifully rebuilt solarium of Carrollcroft with a Mother’s Day Tea on Sunday afternoon, May 12th. The original and much smaller solarium, which was in poor condition, was demolished last September and a
new one was constructed over the winter thanks to a generous $230,000 donation from an anonymous donor. The new solarium seats 56 people and, with its insulated walls and triple-glazed windows, will be usable during the winter months. There is also a basement to the new solarium where the archives collection will be relocated.
“We’ll be able to hold our lectures here now instead of in the hall of the Anglican Church. The solarium will also be available for rental for meetings, weddings, showers or other events,” explained Jeanne d’Arc Clowery, the museum’s Executive Secretary. During the museum’s busiest months, from around June 20th until Labour Day, the solarium will be open every afternoon as a Tea Room to serve tea, coffee and other refreshments like home-made scones, jam and Devonshire Cream. “People come all the way from Montreal for those scones!” added Ms. Clowery.
The Mother’s Day Tea will be a sumptuous affair and reservations are required. The traditional menu will include cucumber and egg sandwiches, smoked salmon rolls, scones and clotted cream, cookies and cakes.
Other news from the Colby-Curtis Museum is the announcement that Pierre Rastoul is no longer the Director although he has been retained on contract to develop the summer exhibitions. “We have begun looking for a new director and hope to find one this summer,” commented Harry Isbrucker who is acting as the Interim Director for the fourth time. The museum is presently fundraising to expand its collection of digital copies of The Stanstead Journal. A major source of information to researchers, the museum has digital copies of the newspaper from its first issue in 1845 up until 1976. When bought one year at a time, the digital copies cost $250 per year, but when bought in a ten year block, the cost is reduced to $100 per year. “Our aim is to raise $1000 so we can buy ten years; we really want to bring our digital copies up to date,” said the Executive Secretary.
Orford MNA Pierre Reid, an avid coin collector, will be the guest speaker at this year’s Annual Meeting of the Stanstead Historical Society on June 8th. Coins from his private collection will be presented in a summer exhibition at the museum. The Society’s spring excursion will take members and friends to Burlington, Vermont, on June 14th. “This time we’ll visit the Ireland House, the Joseph Brand Museum and take a cruise on Lake Champlain.”
The Stanstead Farmer’s Market is moving from the grounds of Stanstead College to the grounds beside Carrollcroft this summer. “We’re very happy about that. It’s held on Sundays and our museum is open on Sundays.” And don’t for- get to watch for the ColbyCurtis Museum’s float, appearing for the first time in the BorderFest parade in July, thanks to the solarium’s contractor, Claude Francoeur, who will provide the base for the float.
For solarium rentals or reservations for the Mother’s Day Tea, call the museum at 819 876-7322.
The Colby-Curtis Museum’s new solarium will be finished in time for a sumptuous Mother’s Day Tea on May 12th.