Saint-James Hall – The municipality goes ahead
Under the $400,000 borrowing bylaw for the Saint-James Hall repairs, citizens of the municipality of Hatley were invited, August 17th 2013, to sign a register requesting a referendum on the topic. According to the Registrar, Mr. Roland Gascon, 63 citizens came to sign the register. Considering that the Loi sur les élections et référendums dans les municipalités required 95 signatures, the project is considered accepted by the majority of the population. Consequently, the municipal council has decided to pursue the procedures and submit the bylaw to the Ministère des Affaires Municipales for approbation.
Following an agreement with the Anglican Church, the municipality of Hatley has acquired, for $1, the Saint-James Hall and the lot frontage of about 13 000 square meters. The municipality expects to restore this heritage building, built in 1837, into a community center. It is a project requested by several citizens for a number of years. To do so, the municipality has received $470,000 in financial assistance from the Ministère du Patrimoine et de
la Culture, the Pacte rural, the Hatley Library Association and the St-James Foundation. To complete the project financing, the municipality plans to borrow $200,000 and make up the difference by raising funds.
While ensuring the sustainability of this patrimonial jewel, the municipality provides its citizens with new facilities for the holding of various leisure activities and culture.