Del Monty Ho­tel in its hey­day

Stanstead Journal - - FORUM -

This copy of a post­card of the old Del Monty Ho­tel, taken we be­lieve around the late 1920’s or early 1930’s ac­cord­ing to the vin­tage of the car in the photo, was sub­mit­ted by lo­cal his­to­rian Jim Belknap. The photo clearly shows the fourth floor of the build­ing, now miss­ing. Ac­cord­ing to lo­cal his­to­rian David Lepitre, the Del Monty Ho­tel suf­fered many fires in its his­tory: one in 1932 that de­stroyed the build­ing which was re­built the same year, and sev­eral smaller fires in­clud­ing one in 1968 that prompted the ho­tel’s own­ers to re­move the top floor.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.