History from the 166 years of the Stanstead Journal
100 Years Ago, May 28, 1914
75 Years Ago, May 11, 1939
MEMPHREMAGOG MINING CO. The Memphremagog Mining Co. are doing quite an extensive business at their mine, which is situated in Potton, opposite this village. They are working about 20 men in night and day gangs. They have bonded the land of John and Samuel Burbank and of Warren Achilles, upon which the mine is situated; have built a road from the mine to the Coolidge schoolhouse, and will draw the ore to the Ezra Ball landing, where it will be loaded upon barges and taken to Newport for shipment South. The ore is very rich in copper, sulphuric acid and silver; it also contains antimony. A small gang of men have been at work at the mine during the winter and a depth of only 40 feet has been reached, but they have struck the ore in abundance. Steam power will soon be put in for hoisting and pumping. There is talk of a railroad being built from the mines to Bolton Centre to connect with the C. P. R. R. There is no doubt but what this will prove to be one of the richest mines in the country, and as a party of N. Y. capitalists have purchased a half interest in it, they will evidently push business. STANSTEAD FIRE BRIGADE The judges’ stand, entertainment platform and band stand at the Stanstead fire brigade was called out, but there was not sufficient hose to reach the nearest hydrant and little could be done. It is said that some boys at play about the judges’ stand started the fire in some paper refuse.