Frag­ments Of The Past

Stanstead Journal - - NEWS - Spe­cial Col­lab­o­ra­tion Mer­rick Belk­nap

Ade­struc­tive fire at the north end of Stanstead in the early hours of Oc­to­ber 4, 1877, con­sumed the Stud­dert Ho­tel; the build­ings north of the ho­tel, owned by the Con­gre­ga­tion de Notre Dame, where the school was housed; the Con­gre­ga­tional Church as well as other build­ings. The cause of the fire re­mains un­known, but it started in the bar­room of the ho­tel, sup­pos­edly ac­ci­den­tally, but, pos­si­bly, by de­sign.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.