New vocation for St. James Hall
Hatley’s new Community Centre, located in the newly restored St. James Hall, was inaugurated in front of a crowd of citizens, elected officials and donors to the lengthy project, last Saturday. The project to restore the historic landmark, which was built in 1837, began twenty years ago. Funds for the work came from the Pacte Rural, the Conseil du Patrimoine religieux du Quebec, the Hatley Library and Heritage Association and the municipality of Hatley.
The building will now be used for various activities organized by the town’s community centre Association, such as language courses, physical activities, bridge etc., and rooms will be available to rent for marriages, reunions or other events.
During the inauguration, there were activities for children and an art exhibit, all followed by refreshments.
Seen here at the inauguration of the new Hatley Community Centre were (l. to r.) NDP MP Jean Rousseau; former Hatley mayor Jacques de Leseleuc; Lucie Masse, the president of the Association du
centre communautaire; and Hatley mayor Denis Ferland.