Drug bust in Stanstead East

Stanstead Journal - - FRONT PAGE - Mem­phré­m­a­gog Coat­i­cook MRC

Last Tues­day, of­fi­cers with the Coat­i­cook RCM’s Sureté du Que­bec post searched a home on Fair­fax, in Stanstead East. A 48 year-old woman sus­pected of be­ing in­volved in drug traf­fick­ing was ar­rested af­ter 70 grams of mar­i­juana and more than $1000 in cash was found. An eigh­teen yearold and a twenty-five yearold woman were on the premises at the time of the search which was done by eight of­fi­cers and a po­lice dog.

The Sureté du Que­bec ar­rested a sus­pect in con­nec­tion with tele­phone fraud last week. A Danville woman in her eight­ies re­ceived a call on May 5th from some­one im­per­son­at­ing her grand­son who was ask­ing for money to pay bail of $5,300. The woman re­ceived an­other phonecall in the af­ter­noon from some­one claim­ing to work for the de­liv­ery com­pany that would pick up the en­ve­lope of money to be sent to an­other coun­try for her fake grand­son and that he needed an­other $650 to send the money to an­other coun­try. Thank­fully, be­tween the phone-calls, the woman was able to reach her grand­son by phone and he told her to call the po­lice. So when the de­liv­ery per­son came to pick up the en­ve­lope of

money in the af­ter­noon, a po­lice of­fi­cer was there wait­ing and the sus­pect was ar­rested. To­bie Barao Lachance, a 25 year-old man from Mon­treal, ap­peared at the Sher­brooke Court House the next day and was charged with at­tempt­ing to com­mit fraud.

Last Sun­day at around 3:30 pm, a 22 year-old man was stopped by of­fi­cers with the Regie de po­lice Mem­phrem­a­gog. The man tried to give a false name to the of­fi­cer be­cause his li­cense was sus­pended. Dur­ing the ar­rest, of­fi­cers found roughly 300 grams of cannabis, twenty-two metham­phetamine pills, ten vials of cannabis resin, six grams of hashish, half a gram of co­caine, 322 grams of cannabis buds, a weigh scale and more than $4,800 in cash.

Last Wed­nes­day, Austin’s An­drew David­son re­ceived a sen­tence of two years less one day in prison for the in­vol­un­tary homi­cide of Arthur Charby in Lac-Brome in 2012. David­son pleaded guilty of the crime on June 3rd, 2014. When re­leased, he will have three years of pro­ba­tion and two hun­dred hours of com­mu­nity ser­vice. On Oc­to­ber 2nd, 2012, the body of 53 year-old Arthur Charby was found be­hind the Johnny C Bar in Lac Brome, the re­sult of an al­ter­ca­tion with David­son who was ar­rested a few hours later at his home in Austin. The fol­low­ing day he was charged with sec­ond de­gree mur­der and he was in jail un­til Novem­ber of 2012 when bail was posted at $20,000. Af­ter the coro­ner’s re­port on Arthur Charby, the charge was changed to homi­cide.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.