Ev­ery­body gave a hand to help the res­i­dents evac­u­ate.

Stanstead Journal - - FRONT PAGE - Vic­to­ria Vanier Stanstead

About forty-five se­niors, some of them with re­duced mo­bil­ity, had to be evac­u­ated from the Manoir Stanstead last Wed­nes­day evening, around 8:30 pm, af­ter a care­giver no­ticed smoke and a strong burn­ing odor on the se­cond floor. Most of the se­niors were bussed to Stanstead Col­lege while the less mo­bile se­niors were taken to the CAB RH Rediker’s build­ing where they were picked up by fam­ily mem­bers.

De­spite the cold, the evac­u­a­tion went smoothly thanks to the ef­forts of many. “All of the staff were help­ing and all of the em­ploy­ees who were off at the time came from home to help,” said the grate­ful man­ager of Manoir Stanstead, Pa­tri­cia Fratelli. Stanstead Col­lege’s Di­rec­tor of Busi­ness Op­er­a­tions, Ian Jack­son, co­or­di­nated his school’s re­sponse and many Stanstead Col­lege stu­dents also took part in the ef­fort. “My­lene LaBonté of the CAB called to of­fer to open the CAB for some of our se­niors,” added Ms. Fratelli.

“Part of the cer­ti­fi­ca­tion pro­ce­dures for a se­niors’ res­i­dence is to pro­vide a fire safety plan. My plan is with Stansted Col­lege and we have a writ­ten agree­ment with them that in the case of evac­u­a­tion, they pro­vide the busses and shel­ter for our se­niors,” ex­plained Ms. Fratelli. “You never wish for some­thing like this to hap­pen but to see the plan flow so well…We do fire drills about ev­ery six months, at least once a year, so the res­i­dents are very good with drills and they help each other.”

“The fire­fight­ers also did an amaz­ing job. Around 1:00 am Jean Fluet de­cided to main­tain the evac­u­a­tion be­cause the source of the smoke still couldn’t be found,” con­tin­ued the man­ager. The res­i­dents were brought back to the Manoir Stanstead the next morn­ing, be­tween 8:30 and 9:00 am.

The source of the smoke is still be­ing in­ves­ti­gated, how­ever, it has been de­ter­mined that the smoke did not orig­i­nate with the build­ing it­self. An elec­tri- cian opened some walls to check the wiring just to be sure, and there were no signs of any prob­lems. None of the build­ing’s sprin­klers, which are ac­ti­vated by heat rather than smoke, went off.

“I’d like to say an enor­mous ‘Thank you’ to ev­ery­one in­volved with the evac­u­a­tion: the staff, the fire-fight­ers, the se­niors, the stu­dents and ev­ery­one who vol­un­teered. I’ll be plan­ning some­thing spe­cial to show my thanks,” con­cluded Ms. Fratelli.

Photo Stanstead Col­lege

Pho­tos Stanstead Col­lege

Stanstead Col­lege stu­dents with one of the Manoir res­i­dents who were evac­u­ated.

Res­i­dent and helpers at the makeshift evac­u­a­tion cen­tre.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.