Fire breaks out at an­i­mal shel­ter

Stanstead Journal - - NEWS - Vic­to­ria Vanier Len­noxville, Sher­brooke

Afire broke out at the Pet Con­nec­tion an­i­mal shel­ter in Len­noxville, in the Blue Seal build­ing, on Mon­day night at around mid­night. A young woman liv­ing in the apart­ment above the shel­ter woke up to the smell of smoke af­ter she had gone to bed and called 911 right away. The ten­ant’s quick ac­tions prob­a­bly saved the lives of the roughly seventy an­i­mals liv­ing at the shel­ter.

Ac­cord­ing to Marika Gre­nier, an em­ployee of Blue Seal, the fire started in the groom­ing room where about forty cats, wait­ing to be adopted, were housed. There were two ca­su­al­ties as a re­sult of the fire, a very young kit­ten and an older cat. The rest of the cats were brought to the ve­teri­nary clinic in Sher­brooke, ex­cept for a few that were taken by the So­ci­ete Pro­tec­trice des an­i­maux de l’Estrie (SPA). “The cats went to the ve­teri­nary clinic to get oxy­gen and to get checked out be­cause the room was com­pletely en­gulfed in smoke,” ex­plained Ms. Gre­nier.

None of the shel­ter dogs, there are about thirty of them, were hurt in the fire as they are lodged in a dif­fer­ent area of the build­ing.

Any­one in­ter­ested in adopt­ing ei­ther a dog or a cat can get more in­for­ma­tion on the Pet Con­nec­tion web­site.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.