Stanstead South United’s last Service
The sun was shining brightly as people came from near and far for Stanstead South United’s De-consecration Service, held on Easter Sunday. The historic church, which was built in 1876 and underwent a restoration in 2009, is in the process of being sold.
According to the Eastern Townships Resource Centre’s website, the church began as the first Congregationalist Church in Lower Canada, later becoming a United Church when the Congregationalists joined the Presbyterians and the Methodists in 1925. The original Congregational Church was organized in 1816 and the parishioners built their first church in 1829. The present church replaced that original building.
A bittersweet moment as people gathered on the steps of the historic Stanstead South United Church for its last service, on Easter Sunday. Reverend Lise Kuzminska can be seen with the colorful scarf.
A touching moment during last Sunday’s De-consecration service at Stanstead South United Church.
Reverend Lise Kuzminska delivers the last service at Stanstead South United while Lise Flanders sings and plays the organ in the background.