His­tory from the 166 years of the Stanstead Jour­nal

Stanstead Journal - - CLASSIFIEDS -

100 Years Ago, March 30, 1916


In­di­ca­tion point to con­sid­er­able build­ing ac­tiv­ity at Stanstead dur­ing the spring and sum­mer. Louis Fournier, for­merly of Sher­brooke, is build­ing a house on land pur­chased from Mrs. N. Viz­ina, the same be­ing lo­cated on Cen­tre street, in rear of the Par­adis store. Fred Be­langer has built a barn and will be­gin the erec­tion of a house shortly. Ge­orge Brock is pre­par­ing to build a house on a Ge­orge Rogers lot, and it is un­der­stood J.A. Sisco will re­build if he can to se­cure a small ad­di­tional piece of land to en­large his lot.

70 Years Ago, March 28, 1946


Henry Moore Suc­cumbs at Henry Moore Sun­day Af­ter­noon Henry Moore of Duf­ferin Av­enue died at the Henry Moore, Sun­day af­ter­noon, at two o’clock from in­juries re­ceived when at­tacked by a bull. Ac­cord­ing to his reg­u­lar cus­tom, he had led his an­i­mal out wa­ter us­ing a small chain, with­out a staff. Henry, it would ap­pear, had been in the habit of play­ing with the an­i­mal of whom he is very fond. From the bull’s big pen in the south barn to the dou­ble wa­ter­ing through is only a short dis­tance but for some un­known rea­son the brute started to rough things up and, turn­ing on his mas­ter, soon had him down and was maul­ing him un­mer­ci­fully. Henry, how­ever, man­aged to di­vert the bull’s at­ten­tion while he got away and, with four bro­ken ribs and other frac­tures, man­aged to reach the house.

50 Years Ago, March 31 , 1966

10 Years Ago, March 29, 2006


A fire which was started by a small spark from the weld­ing torch of a plumber, de­stroyed a lo­cal land­mark within hours Mon­day af­ter­noon. There were no cus­tomers at the ho­tel as it had been tem­po­rar­ily closed for ren­o­va­tions. Only about twenty peo­ple, staff and con­trac­tors, were work­ing in the build­ing at the time. Right af­ter lunch, the fire be­gan on the third floor when the in­su­la­tion caught fire af­ter a plumber lost con­trol of his weld­ing torch. The North Hat­ley fire depart­ment was alerted at 1:30 and ar­rived only min­utes later. Soon af­ter, fire­men from Water­ville and Ayer’s Cliff, who have an agree­ment with the town of North Hat­ley, ar­rived to help fight the blaze. A Ma­jorus lad­der truck also ar­rived from Sher­brooke to fight the fire.

HIS­TORIC AU­BERGE HAT­LEY GOES UP IN FLAMES When fire chief Randy Kent first ar­rived on the scene he was op­ti­mistic that the build­ing could be saved. The fire­men worked be­tween rooms 16 and 22 on the third floor and had al­most ex­tin­guished the flames when it was noted that the flames had spread to the space above both the ceil­ings and the sprin­klers. The New Eng­land style struc­ture was built of wood and had al­ready un­der­gone many ren­o­va­tions, which con­trib­uted to the rapid spread of the flames. Be­sides be­ing built of highly flammable ma­te­ri­als, there were many air pock­ets in the walls and ceil­ings. The fire soon be­came too dan­ger­ous to con­tinue fight­ing, there was too much smoke and wa­ter, and the fire­men went into dam­age con­trol. Mme. Chris­tiane Ger­main of the Groupe Ger­main, the own­ers of the build­ing, ar­rived around 4:00 pm. and could be seen cry­ing with some of her em­ploy­ees as she wit­nessed the de­struc­tion of the inn. She was heard re­as­sur­ing them: “Don’t worry about any­thing, we will take care of things in the short term.” The build­ing was con­structed in 1903 by the Holt fam­ily, own­ers of the Holt Ren­frew stores. It was trans­formed into an inn in the late 1940’s af­ter it was pur­chased by the Hatlick fam­ily. It changed hands fre­quently un­til 1980, when it was bought by Lil­iane and Robert Gagnon, who with time turned it into a world-class ho­tel. In 2002 it was bought by the Groupe Ger­main and be­came part of the “Re­lais et Chateaux” in­ter­na­tional chain of lux­ury ho­tels. The Gagnons have con­tin­ued to man­age the ho­tel. It has been an­nounced that the own­ers of the inn will re­build the fa­cil­ity that was in the mid­dle of a multi-mil­lion dol­lar ren­o­va­tion and ex­pan­sion project. The loss has been eval­u­ated at roughly five mil­lion dol­lars. Mayor Stephan Dore told the Stanstead Jour­nal that the mu­nic­i­pal eval­u­a­tion of the prop­erty was two mil­lion dol­lars. This fig­ure does not in­clude the value of the con­tents of the inn. The wine cel­lar which held 12,000 bot­tles, some of ir­re­place­able vin­tages, was com­pletely de­stroyed. It was val­ued at ap­prox­i­mately $1.5 mil­lion. The value of the an­tiques alone could be as high as $1 mil­lion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.