History from the 166 years of the Stanstead Journal
100 Years Ago, March 30, 1916
BULDING AT STANSTEAD
Indication point to considerable building activity at Stanstead during the spring and summer. Louis Fournier, formerly of Sherbrooke, is building a house on land purchased from Mrs. N. Vizina, the same being located on Centre street, in rear of the Paradis store. Fred Belanger has built a barn and will begin the erection of a house shortly. George Brock is preparing to build a house on a George Rogers lot, and it is understood J.A. Sisco will rebuild if he can to secure a small additional piece of land to enlarge his lot.
70 Years Ago, March 28, 1946
INJURY BY BULL PROVE FATAL
Henry Moore Succumbs at Henry Moore Sunday Afternoon Henry Moore of Dufferin Avenue died at the Henry Moore, Sunday afternoon, at two o’clock from injuries received when attacked by a bull. According to his regular custom, he had led his animal out water using a small chain, without a staff. Henry, it would appear, had been in the habit of playing with the animal of whom he is very fond. From the bull’s big pen in the south barn to the double watering through is only a short distance but for some unknown reason the brute started to rough things up and, turning on his master, soon had him down and was mauling him unmercifully. Henry, however, managed to divert the bull’s attention while he got away and, with four broken ribs and other fractures, managed to reach the house.
50 Years Ago, March 31 , 1966
10 Years Ago, March 29, 2006
A fire which was started by a small spark from the welding torch of a plumber, destroyed a local landmark within hours Monday afternoon. There were no customers at the hotel as it had been temporarily closed for renovations. Only about twenty people, staff and contractors, were working in the building at the time. Right after lunch, the fire began on the third floor when the insulation caught fire after a plumber lost control of his welding torch. The North Hatley fire department was alerted at 1:30 and arrived only minutes later. Soon after, firemen from Waterville and Ayer’s Cliff, who have an agreement with the town of North Hatley, arrived to help fight the blaze. A Majorus ladder truck also arrived from Sherbrooke to fight the fire.
HISTORIC AUBERGE HATLEY GOES UP IN FLAMES When fire chief Randy Kent first arrived on the scene he was optimistic that the building could be saved. The firemen worked between rooms 16 and 22 on the third floor and had almost extinguished the flames when it was noted that the flames had spread to the space above both the ceilings and the sprinklers. The New England style structure was built of wood and had already undergone many renovations, which contributed to the rapid spread of the flames. Besides being built of highly flammable materials, there were many air pockets in the walls and ceilings. The fire soon became too dangerous to continue fighting, there was too much smoke and water, and the firemen went into damage control. Mme. Christiane Germain of the Groupe Germain, the owners of the building, arrived around 4:00 pm. and could be seen crying with some of her employees as she witnessed the destruction of the inn. She was heard reassuring them: “Don’t worry about anything, we will take care of things in the short term.” The building was constructed in 1903 by the Holt family, owners of the Holt Renfrew stores. It was transformed into an inn in the late 1940’s after it was purchased by the Hatlick family. It changed hands frequently until 1980, when it was bought by Liliane and Robert Gagnon, who with time turned it into a world-class hotel. In 2002 it was bought by the Groupe Germain and became part of the “Relais et Chateaux” international chain of luxury hotels. The Gagnons have continued to manage the hotel. It has been announced that the owners of the inn will rebuild the facility that was in the middle of a multi-million dollar renovation and expansion project. The loss has been evaluated at roughly five million dollars. Mayor Stephan Dore told the Stanstead Journal that the municipal evaluation of the property was two million dollars. This figure does not include the value of the contents of the inn. The wine cellar which held 12,000 bottles, some of irreplaceable vintages, was completely destroyed. It was valued at approximately $1.5 million. The value of the antiques alone could be as high as $1 million.