A flavourful spin for tonight's spaghetti
(NC) Awaken your taste buds and bring new flavour to your dinner table by trading in your traditional spaghetti for a new recipe. Create this new take on an old classic, and explore why many chefs are turning to fish sauce as their secret ingredient. While fish sauce may be a surprising choice in an Italian-inspired entrée, just a couple of tablespoons can add smooth and savoury taste to complete your pasta. A gluten and lactose free ingredient, fish sauce can also substitute for pantry staples like soy sauce and salt.
Simple Pasta Bolognese
Prep Time: 20 min. Cook Time: 45 min. Makes: 10 servings Ingredients 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef 1 yellow onion, finely diced 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced 1 celery stalk, finely diced 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Prepared
Minced Garlic 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste 1 can (796 mL) crushed tomatoes 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Basil Leaves 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole milk 1/2 cup (125 mL) water 2 tbsp (30 mL) Thai Kitchen Fish Sauce 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Parsley
Flakes Club House Sea Salt Grinder Club House Black Peppercorn Grinder, to taste
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink, crumbling with a spoon. Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
3. Return beef to pan. Add tomato paste and stir well. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, milk and water. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add fish sauce, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Serve over cooked pasta with freshly grated parmesan.