Tomato, Garlic Scape Pesto and Pan-seared Cheese Salad
Garlic Scape Aioli
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) garlic scape pesto
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
• 1 egg yolk
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) canola oil
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil (or olive oil)
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) garlic scape pesto
• 8 thin slices baguette cut diagonally
• 2 blocks grilling cheese (Halloumi-style), about 5 1/2 oz (160 g) each, blotted dry and at room temperature
• 2 cups (500 ml) grape tomatoes, halved
• 4 cups (1 litre) arugula
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic scape pesto, lemon juice, mustard and egg yolk. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Preheat the oven to 425F (220C) with the rack in the middle position.
3. In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil and with the garlic scape pesto. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet. With a brush, spread the garlic scape pesto mixture on the bread. Bake for
8 to 10 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, on a work surface, cut the cheese in half horizontally to make 4 large slices. In a hot non-stick skillet, brown the cheese over mediumhigh heat in the remaining oil.
6. In the bowl of aioli, add the tomatoes and toss well. Add the arugula and toss gently. Adjust the seasoning. Place a slice of seared cheese on each plate, top with a slice of toasted bread. Add the salad and the remaining bread slices.