COOKING WITH RICARDO
Meat Lover’s Pizza
Serves 4 Ingredients Pizza Dough
• 2 1/4 cups (340 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
• 4 tsp sugar
• 1 tsp instant dry yeast
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 cup (250 ml) warm water
• 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) plum tomatoes
• 1 ball pizza dough
• 2 cups (200 g) grated mozzarella cheese
• 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
• 8 slices prosciutto, torn
• 4 slices ham, torn
• 1/4 cup (10 g) chopped fresh chives
• 1 head Boston lettuce, thinly sliced
• 1 cup (25 g) arugula
• 1 green onion, thinly sliced
• Basil leaves, as desired
• Olive oil, as desired
1. In a large bowl using a wooden spoon, or in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add the water and stir until a soft ball forms. Knead for 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface or in the stand mixer until smooth.
2. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest in a warm, humid place for 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in volume.
3. Preheat the oven to 450F (230C). Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven.
4. Place the tomatoes in a strainer over a bowl and split them in half to drain away the liquid. Keep the tomato juice for another use.
5. In another bowl, crush the tomatoes using your hands. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
6. Divide the dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece into an 8-inch (20 cm) disc. Place on a sheet of parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining dough.
7. Spread the crushed tomatoes onto each disc and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake the pizzas with the parchment paper, one at a time, on the pizza stone for 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven, top with a mixture of the meats and greens or let guests choose their own toppings. Drizzle with olive oil.