C3 ANVIL ISLAND
1. Anvil Island - Named by Captain Vancouver because of the shape of its mountain. Some beaching areas on the east side.
2. Domett Point - The apex of Anvil Island. The bay to the east provides great anchorage and shelter from the south. To the southwest there is a nice bay, watch for log booms. Tie up if you dare, relax, and enjoy the scenery.
3. This nice bay offers good anchorage and great shelter from south winds. The two bays south of the point provide great anchorage and shelter from north winds.
4. Camp Potlatch is operated by the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Vancouver. This is private property; no trespassing. The water is very shallow in front of Potlatch Creek. The bay to the west provides shelter and anchorage.
5. Defence Islands - Private property of the Squamish Nation; named after the H.M.S. Defence which was headed by Captain James Gambier. It was the first ship to pass through the French defence line at the battle of “The Glorious First” of June, 1794. Good anchorage north side of the larger island.
6. Five Coves - Good anchorage and shelter from north winds with smaller bays to the south.
7. Furry Creek - Nice small bay (north) provides shelter from north winds and some anchorage. Watch for the outflow area 150 m (160 yards) into the water and north of the point.
8. Porteau Cove Marine Park - Opened in 1981; offers good anchorage, large beach areas, campground, washrooms, lots of parking, boat launching and mooring buoys. This is the best scuba diving area in Howe Sound and divers will find more than 100 species of marine life such as Octopi, Plumoseanemones, Ling Cod and several types of shrimp. Due to the distance from shore, some dives are intended for intermediate to advanced divers. Yellow marker buoys and dive floats show the location of the shallower wrecks and reefs which lie from 6 to 18 m (20 to 60 ft). Sunken Ships: First ship, “Cape Spruce,” is a submarine chaser built in 1942; wooden hull 108 feet, 117 tons, sunk 1980. Second ship, “M.V. Fort Langley,” is a wooden boat of 51 feet. It was an Albion Island ferry which was sunk in 1980. Third ship, “Nakaya,” is a 136 feet motor minesweeper YMS-420; it was built in Chicago in 1943 and sunk in 1985. Fourth ship, “Centennial 111,” is a 35 feet, 35 ton, steel dredge tender; it was sunk in 1991. Fifth ship, “Ferrocement sailboat,” has a hull of 50 feet, 10 tons donated by Mr. and Mrs. Mccall, and it was sunk in 1991. Sixth ship, “Granthall,” is 92 feet long, 164 tons, and it was a steel-hulled steam tug boat built in Montreal in 1928 for the CPR; it was sunk in 1992 (UASBC).
9. Brunswick Point - Provides good anchorage on the south side but you will remain exposed to the elements. A plaque up on the road states, “Pacific Great Eastern.” The P.G.E. derived its name from England’s great Eastern Railways. Started by private interests in 1912, it was acquired by the province in 1918 when the builders ran into financial difficulties. Operating between Squamish and Quesnel from 1921, it was extended to Prince George in 1952, to North Vancouver in 1956 and to Dawson Creek and Fort St. John in 1958.