Choosing the BEST BOAT Storage Option
One thing all boaters share in common
is that we love being on the water. We also share the same set of laws regarding right of way. However, two boaters can be twins, have the same boat, the same job, similar number and size of family members in the boat, while enjoying the same watersports at the same time, but once they get to the dock, their lives can diverge completely. I’m talking about boat storage.
In a perfect world, every boater would have a protected lake or ocean front lot where his or her boat dock comes complete with a boat garage and a lift. Their boat would remain protected from the elements, vandals and thieves, and be easily loaded, unloaded and accessible. Pinch me.
Every storage option has its benefits; from dry rack storage where your boat is protected from the elements but you have to plan ahead to launch; to leaving it moored in a marina exposed to the elements but supremely accessible; to towing it to the lake or launch point of your choice and subsequently towing it home. Here are the advantages of dry storing your boat at home, which you may not have considered. Some storage options have some of the same advantages, but not all.
1. Dry storage protects your boat from the potential damage that can be done moored in a storm, deterioration caused by UV light, dust, and mould, bombing runs by seagulls, and damage by marine critters that want to make a winter home of your boat.
2. It will reduce the cost of boat ownership as less maintenance is required like annual antifouling, and your boats’ resale value will be higher because it is in better shape.
3. Theft and vandalism can be reduced because the dirtbags can’t see your boat and you can lock it up tight.
4. It’s environmentally friendly, as there is less spillage/leaking of sewage, oil and fuel in the waterway, and it reduces the impact of toxins from anti-fouling paints.
5. Your boat is less likely to suffer from scratches and gashes since you are the one moving it as opposed to an errant boat storage employee.
6. It’s easy to give your boat a quick inspection, get at your boat for light maintenance work, or switch props for a different style of boating.
7. You can use it whenever you want, for that pre-dawn fishing excursion or the sunrise pull on the waterski.
8. Boating to a different lake or launch point is as simple as picking a new destination that day.
9. Loading luggage, gear and supplies is easier than hauling it all down to the dock.
10. No monthly rental fees, or annual membership dues.
So why doesn’t everyone do it? Well, not everyone has space in the garage, some boats are too big to tow, some people don’t have a vehicle capable of towing their boat size, and others simply have that property on the lake we were dreaming of earlier (sigh).