Trinity St. Stephen’s United Church Timeline
1780: Rev. William Black preaches Methodism in Cumberland County.
1781: Date of oldest tombstone in the Presbyterian Cemetery, West Amherst.
1807: Wesleyan Chapel built in Fort Lawrence.
1830: Presbyterian meeting house built in West Amherst. 1841: Methodist Church opens at 200 East Victoria Street. 1876: Trinity Methodist builds church at corner of Ratchford & Havelock streets.
1883: St. Stephen’s Presbyterian Church built on corner of Lawrence & Victoria streets. 1906: Trinity Methodist Church replaces wooden building with current, red sandstone church. 1925: United Church of Canada formed from Canadian Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches.
1936: Merged congregations of Trinity and St. Stephen’s hold services together at Trinity Church, now known as Trinity-St. Stephen’s United Church.