Drinking won’t affect production, lawyer says
Shia LaBeouf’s lawyer has insisted the actor’s arrest and drinking issues won’t derail the production of his upcoming movie The Peanut Butter Falcon.
The Transformers actor was arrested on the weekend and booked for disorderly conduct, public drunkenness and obstruction after police officers in Georgia spotted him “losing control of himself” during a night out.
Footage of him hurling threatening and racist abuse at cops while being arrested subsequently emerged online.
The actor, who returned to the set of his movie on Monday, has since apologized for behaviour, admitting he has been “struggling with addiction” and is taking steps to get sober.
However, his lawyer Doug Andrews has now told TMZ.com that the 31-year-old is not an alcoholic as he doesn’t have an uncontrollable need to drink booze so he is able to go without it for the remainder of the shoot.
He insisted the production will not be interrupted as LaBeouf is determined to not have another sip until the film is completed.
He said LaBeouf doesn’t need to drink but is simply unable to stop once he begins, and he will seek professional help for this once the movie is wrapped.
They both hope to make it up to Georgia cops following LaBeouf ’s outburst by doing something “meaningful,” although they haven’t decided what yet.
TMZ had previously reported that the cast and crew were shocked to hear about the actor’s arrest because he had been “incredibly professional” and “so nice” on set and never showed any signs of a drinking problem, according to sources.
In his apology, LaBeouf said, “I am deeply ashamed of my behaviour and make no excuses for it. My outright disrespect for authority is problematic to say the least, and completely destructive to say the worst … It is a new low. A low I hope is a bottom.” WENN
A movie biopic starring Antonio Banderas as late fashion designer Gianni Versace is no longer going ahead due to an upcoming TV series about his murder.
It was announced in summer 2016 that The Mask of Zorro star was teaming up with Oscarwinning director Bille August to star in a movie about the Italian fashion icon, who was murdered by Andrew Cunanan in 1997 outside his home in Miami Beach, Fla., at the age of 50.
They were due to begin production in December, but Antonio has admitted they aren’t going forward with the project now that producer Ryan Murphy is tackling the murder for the latest installment in his American Crime Story TV anthology series, which stars Edgar Ramirez as Versace and Penelope Cruz as his sister Donatella.
“Actually I saw Bille at Cannes Film Festival,” Banderas told The Hollywood Reporter. “Because there was a TV show going on, that actually my friend Penelope is doing, we looked at each other and said ‘this movie doesn’t make sense anymore.’ ”
He is also convinced that he probably wasn’t the right person for the role.
“I have to confess now … I don’t think I am Gianni,” he added. “I met him in the house where he was killed, actually, a couple of times. He was a very shy man, very laid back, beautiful, very sweet, but there was something about him that I don’t have.”
The project also didn’t have the backing of the Versace family and a representative for the fashion label put out a statement at the time saying they had “neither authorized nor had any involvement whatsoever in the forthcoming movie about Versace.”
Banderas also assured the publication he will be tuning into The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story when the series airs in early 2018.
“I think Penelope is a great actress. I know Donatella very well, and I know that Penelope is going to engulf her,” he said. “I’m going to watch it definitely.”
The series also stars Ricky Martin as Versace’s boyfriend Antonio D’Amico and Darren Criss as serial killer Andrew Cunanan. WENN
A planned biopic on murdered fashion designer Gianni Versace which was to star Antonio Banderas, above, has been cancelled after TV show American Crime Story started working on the story of Versace’s 1997 murder.