1947: lo­cal police spot car stolen in Truro

The Citizen-Record (Cumberland) - - HEALTH - Pat Crowe Her­itage Cor­ner Pat Crowe is a mem­ber of the Springhill Her­itage Group. To learn more or read past ar­ti­cle of the Her­itage Cor­ner, visit www.springhill­her­itage.ca.

Harry Tan­ner of Hal­i­fax landed in the cooler early Friday morn­ing.

Tan­ner’s ar­rest was the re­sult of smart work on the part of Deputy Chief Leo Mac­Don­ald of the lo­cal police force. The Deputy Chief was mak­ing his rounds of the busi­ness premises about 3:30 a.m. when he heard a car com­ing up Main Street. It was a light grey car which he had been warned to watch for. Flash­ing his light and step­ping out on the road the of­fi­cer sig­nalled the driver to stop, but in­stead of stop­ping he swerved the car and stepped on the gas.

An alarm was rung into Amherst and the Deputy hopped into the Town truck and gave pur­suit. The Amherst Police had blocked the road over the Fen­wick Moun­tain and had their man in cus­tody when Mac­Don­ald ar­rived. Tan­ner was taken to Amherst jail and the fol­low­ing day the Truro Chief took him back to Truro for trial.

Day­light Sav­ing Time will go into ef­fect in Springhill at one minute past mid­night Sunday night, April 28th, and will con­tinue in ef­fect un­til Septem­ber 28th. An of­fi­cial an­nounce­ment to this ef­fect ap­pears on an­other page in this is­sue.

In adopt­ing Day­light Sav­ing Time Springhill will be in line with other towns through­out the County and the Province. It will do away with the old con­fu­sion which ex­isted year af­ter year and be­came an ag­gra­va­tion to ev­ery­one.

May 1, 1947 – The Springhill Bot­tling Works are get­ting into pro­duc­tion early next week at the plant for­merly oc­cu­pied by Wm. Rec­tor on the Her­rett Road. Pro­pri­etors of the new busi­ness will be Arthur Pet­ti­grew and Aubrey Bird, who re­cently pur­chased a plant in Amherst and moved it to Springhill.

The new Bot­tling Plant will re­quire the sup­port of lo­cal busi­ness houses if it is to be a success and lo­cal deal­ers should as­sist in ev­ery­thing pos­si­ble to build up this new in­dus­try for Springhill.

Good luck to Pet­ti­grew and Bird in their new ven­ture.

May 8, 1947 – A be­lated sleet storm hit Springhill May 1st., caus­ing ex­ten­sive dam­age to power and tele­phone lines run­ning into thou­sands of dol­lars. The storm con­tin­ued through­out Friday but abated Saturday as re­pair crews sum­moned from all parts of the province strug­gled in the rain and the sleet to re­pair the lines.

It was prob­a­bly the worst sleet storm ever ex­pe­ri­enced in this part of the province and the brunt of the storm set­tled in Springhill where tele­phone poles snapped like match­wood and scat­tered lines all over the street. On Hos­pi­tal Street, prob­a­bly one of the short­est streets in town, five tele­phone poles snapped un­der the ter­rific strain of wires and ice. Three more poles went down of Pleas­ant Street, one on Chapel Street and one at Wind­ham on the toll line.

The power lines started to fail about two o’clock Thurs­day af­ter­noon when one of the main ca­bles lead­ing into town snapped cut­ting off all power. Lo­cal crews were rushed to the scene of the dam­age and be­fore the re­pairs were af­fected the lines through­out the town be­gan to go in ev­ery sec­tion. Main Street stood the test bet­ter than any other sec­tion. Every­where one went wires from ei­ther the power lines or tele­phone lines were dan­gling around the streets.

It was 8 p.m. be­fore the power was turned on again on Main St., but be­fore this could be done it was nec­es­sary to cut off most of the streets, par­tic­u­larly where the lines were down. Most homes were with­out light or power Thurs­day evening and can­dles, lanterns and oil lamps glowed every­where.

Com­ment­ing on the dam­age of­fi­cials of the Edi­son Elec­tric Light and Power Com­pany stated their cost would run well over $10,000.

In an ef­fort to get their ser­vices op­er­at­ing again Edi­son Elec­tric rushed ma­te­ri­als to Springhill from its many sub­sidiaries through­out the province and crews worked des­per­ately to get power cir­cu­lat­ing. An ex­tra crew of eight men were sent here to as­sist in the work.

The Tele­phone Com­pany also got away to a quick start. The first break came about 2 o’clock and by five they had an ex­tra con­struc­tion crew work­ing on the dam­age. A short time later ad­di­tional crews ar­rived and by Friday they had four con­struc­tion crews of six men each and two light crews try­ing to bring or­der out of the chaos. Never in the his­tory of Springhill were tele­phone lines in such a mess and through the driz­zling rain men clad in rub­ber boots, coats and hats worked cease­lessly.

By Sunday evening some 250 phones which had been out of or­der were back in ser­vice and ev­ery­thing was work­ing smoothly ex­cept Hos­pi­tal Street where ca­ble was run to pro­vide ser­vice.

In charge of the work was Su­per­in­ten­dent Mar­shall Wood­side of New Glas­gow and J.F. Boyd, sec­tion fore­man, of Amherst. Clyde Dickie, in charge of lo­cal re­pairs, worked cease­lessly.

Never in the his­tory of the town did the trees take such a beat­ing. Every­where huge limbs snapped off the trees like tooth­picks and danger lurked un­der ev­ery tree. One lady struck by a fall­ing limb had her glasses bro­ken and cars and trucks were dented as they stood parked un­der the trees. When the storm had cleared Saturday morn­ing the streets were cov­ered with de­bris. The fall­ing limbs were re­spon­si­ble in no small mea­sure to dam­age to both power and tele­phone lines.

It was Sunday night and Mon­day morn­ing be­fore ser­vice was fully re­sumed by both com­pa­nies.

81. Ja­cob Allen built Saint An­drew’s Church, un­der the per­sonal su­per­vi­sion of A.E. Fraser. The Church seated 650 and was com­pleted in 1884

82. A.W. Brown built the Ro­man Catholic Glebe House about 1888

83. The artist Ge­orge Lynds (orig­i­nally from Hantsport) was the dec­o­ra­tor of t. John The Bap­tist Ro­man Catholic Church when it was con­structed. When it was com­pleted it was con­sid­ered one of the finest in the Mar­itimes

84. In 1922 when the pipe or­gan was be­ing in­stalled in St. An­drew’s Church, a seven-footh­igh cross was found un­der the plat­form. It had orig­i­nally been in­tended for the steeple but the plans were changed and the cross dis­ap­peared. It is thought that the builder who con­structed it, in rev­er­ence, could not de­stroy it and placed it un­der the plat­form

85. The West End School was built in 1891 and was in use un­til it burned in 1958

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.