All Saints to continue general hospital work in Springhill – July 3, 1947
July 3, 1947 – Springhill Record
By Mayor A.J. Mason
The Board of Management of All Saints Springhill Hospital held a special meeting on Friday June 27 with the Right Rev. G.F. Kingston, Bishop of Nova Scotia, in attendance.
The purpose of the meeting was to consider the future of the hospital as it pertained to previous decisions of the board as submitted to Town Council and to the Citizens Committee. The previous decisions were: 1. The board’s proposal to discontinue general hospital work as of July 1,1948
2. The offer to sell the hospital to the Town of Springhill
Had the hospital Corporation cease to function, the endowment fund interest, payable to the present hospital corporation, would cease with the going out of the hospital business by the said corporation, as provided in the Deed of Trust.
Being greatly concerned about this possible loss of yearly revenue toward the maintenance and general administration of a hospital in Springhill, the corporation representatives met last Friday to re-consider its position, and that of the future of All Saints Springhill Hospital, with the following result:
1. That it was desirable and in the best interest of Springhill and its citizens that the present institution and the corporation continue hospital work in Springhill
2. That all resolutions having reference to the corporation discontinuing the work of a hospital in the Town of Springhill, be rescinded.
3. That a committee be appointed by the corporation to study the Incorporating Acts, the present by-laws and all other affairs of the corporation.
4. That a committee be appointed to formulate a plan for an effective and financially sound policy for the continuation of the present hospital. The present position and interest of the Church of England in the hospital to be safe guarded and maintained.
5. The Committee appointed were: Dr. R.V. Harris, KC, Halifax Chancellor of the Diocese; E.B. Paul and A.J. Mason, Springhill; Arch-Deacon C.R. Harris, Parrsboro.
All five articles were unanimously approved by Bishop Kinston and the full board membership.
The history of all public and community hospitals from a financial viewpoint has not been a very happy one. It is impossible to find a hospital in Canada able to report a surplus on operating account at the end of each year and All Saints Hospital, even with its endowment fund contribution, is no exception. Consider if you will, two of the leading Protestant hospitals in Montreal: The Royal Victoria Hospital and the Verdun Hospital. Both of these hospitals are well managed and have the support of a very large clientele. The Royal Victoria’s deficit jumped from about $27,000 in 1945 to $132,000 in 1946. The deficit of the Verdun Hospital was $52,000 in 1946 even though it had a revenue of $6000,000. The high deficits were attributed in a large measure to the inadequacy of the basic rates charged, as against the steady increase in the cost of operation.
The financial problems of the smaller hospitals are much in common with that of the larger institutions. The financial assistance from other sources, separate and apart, from the paying patients, is most essential, if a hospital is to render efficient service to the community.
The ability of All Saints Springhill Hospital, to provide the desired and hoped for services in Christian hospital work, for the benefit of our citizens, rest wholly with the Citizens and the Town of Springhill. Without the complete and active cooperation of the town and its citizens, no effective work can be done to improve the present accommodations and facilities.
When the program for the expansion and modernization of the hospital is presented to the town and its citizens for their support, it is hoped that the friends of All Saints Hospital, also former patients who profited from its treatment, will remember the important place it has taken in their lives and how badly off they may have been if it had no been for the institutions ministrations.
The Hospital Board’s willingness to re-examine the whole question will be deeply appreciated by the citizens of Springhill.
This week’s five facts
126. Bertha Scott went to Normal College but she was only able to teach for half a year. She was struck down by an illness that left her bed-ridden for 17 years.
127. Bill Merritt moved the lunch counter, once owned by Roy Durling, to the west end across from the Herrett Road School.
128. G.L. Glendenning owned a livery and kept his horses upstairs. There was a ramp to get them up and down.
129. In December 1932 a cross was burned on the Graven property, a vacant lot on upper McFarlane Street. It was made of planks 24 feet high and 12 feet across, about seven inches wide, bolted together, sunk in the ground, steadied by guidewire and burned for a considerable time.
130. The name of the restaurant where the 1975 fire started was The Outside Inn.