Another busy weekend for firefighters
The Carbonear Volunteer Fire Department reported another busy weekend with two fire calls Saturday, April 25.
At 7:20 a.m. firefighters responded to a chimney fire.
Department spokesman Keith Thomas said,“this proved a very stubborn fire to put out since the chimney was blocked with creosote.” The residents were at home at the time. “After about 40 minutes we were able to break through the obstruction and put out the fire,” Thomas reported. There was only minor smoke damage to the house. The department’s second call Saturday turned out to be their fifth response to a grass fire in a week.
Approximately 1,000 square feet of grass and brush was burned in the Valley Road area in a fire suspected to have been caused by two children playing with matches.
It took firefighters approximately 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which threatened two local residences before they arrived on the scene shortly after receiving the call at 1:30 p.m.
STUBBORN FIRE - A chimney blocked with creosote proved to be a stubborn for Carbonear firefighters, over the weekend, but they managed to put out the blaze after about 40 minutes.
FIFTH GRASS FIRE - Carbonear firefighters battled their fifth grass fire in a week on Saturday, April 25. The blaze threatened two nearby dwellings before it was extinguished.