Quick facts on traffic services
In Canada 90 per cent of vehicle occupants wear their seat belts. The remaining 10 per cent who do not wear them account for 40 per cent of all traffic fatalities.
According to coroner’s reports, 33 per cent of traffic fatalities are the result of impaired driving.
The RCMP Traffic Services’ efforts correspond with the goal of the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators of Canada to have the safest roads in the world by 2010.
There are approximately 1,200 RCMP regular members performing traffic services across the country.
When motorists follow safe driving practices the risk of death and injury to themselves and others is greatly reduced.