Young visionary sweeps Youth Ventures awards
A young Memorial University student, mother and business owner swept the awards last week at the Youth Ventures 13th annual awards luncheon held this year in Harbour Grace.
Heather Jones, who grew up in Twillingate and currently resides in Witless Bay, took the Venture of the Year Award. The Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Community Development Business Corporations (CBDCs) sponsored the top award.
Kelp Me!, Heather’s enterprise, also earned the Excellence in Innovation, sponsored by MMSB and Excellence in Agriculture award, which was sponsored by Farm Credit Canada.
Kelp Me! is a line of all natural body care products that contain no preservatives, dyes or perfumes, but do contain Newfoundland seaweed.
Growing up in Twillingate and spending time roaming the beaches and shoreline, or out in the fishing boat with her father and brother, Heather couldn’t help but wonder why they only harvested fish from the sea.
The young visionary believes “if we have an idea we want to see materialize, we must first believe in our abilities and then roll up our sleeves and make it happen.”
It takes research, hard work and a lot of determination to start a small business - principles she used to launch Kelp Me!
Heather’s awards were among 11 handed out during an Aug. 17 awards luncheon at the Harbour Breeze.
The other winners in the 2010 Youth Ventures Program are:
* Jennifer McCarthy, Dunville, Mentor of the Year, sponsored by the provincial government;
* Kathy Simon, Stephenville, Star Co-ordinator, sponsored by Transcontinental Media;
* Eoin Hickey, owner of Eoin Hickey Graphic Design, St. John’s, Excellence in Technology, sponsored by Newfoundland Power;
* Sarah Burton, Sarah’s Pet Sitting, Stephenville, Excellence in Customer Service, sponsored by Cal LeGrow;
* Earlene Power and Kelsey Dean, Snacks on the Go!, Portugal Cove South, Excellence in Culture and Tourism, sponsored by Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador;
* Lauren George, Whiteway singer/songwriter of CD Obsession, Excellence in Artistic Achievement, sponsored by the Newfoundland and Labrador Association of CBDCs;
* Stephanie Donovan and Jameila Ali, Boussi, St. John’s, Excellence in Marketing, sponsored by Atlantic Business Magazine;
* and Parinita Verma, Body Art Creations, Stephenville, Excellence in Financial Management, sponsored by Business Development Bank of Canada.