Navy cadets marching in Brigus
Young navy cadets are marching and training and having fun once again in Brigus.
The 119 Vickers Vimy Navy Cadet Corps is back in action, and meets at the Royal Canadian Legion each Wednesday from at 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
So far, nearly 70 young men and women have enrolled. That’s up from the 50 who paraded at last spring’s annual inspection.
“ Our ranks have grown tremendously,” said Hynes.
Cadets come from Harbour Main to Shearstown, she said.
Commanding officer Demita Hynes said the corps is hoping to build on the momentum from last year’s success, which was highlighted by the awarding of one of the top cadet awards in the province to Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class Matthew Mahoney, who was the corps’ guard petty officer.
Mahoney received the Cadet Award of Excellence of Newfoundland and Labrador for 2009-10. This award was chosen by the Navy League of Canada in Ottawa.
The corps also had a very successful 33rd annual inspection last May, Hynes said. Some of the award winners from the inspection include the following:
• best first-year female cadet — Erica Spracklin;
• best first-year male cadet — Ehvan Griffin;
• best senior female cadet — Jessica Rose;
• best senior male cadet — Matthew Mahoney;
• best-dressed female cadet — Chantelle O’Leary;
• Best-dressed male cadet — Shawn Bussey;
• leadership and co-operation award — Michael Power;
• most enthusiastic cadet — Gavin Sparkes and Issac Sparkes;
• most dedicated cadet — Amy Spracklin;
• most improved cadet — McKenzie McHugh and Tyanna Rowe;
• best band cadet — Danielle Moriarity;
• best guard cadet — Alexander Brenton;
• most promising junior cadet — Tamika French;
• most promising senior cadet — Makile Hynes;
• best all-around cadet — Hayley Mahoney;
• cadet choice award — Hayley Mahoney and Jessica Rose;
• top f u n d r a i s e r awa rd — Chantelle O’Leary.
For more information, call Demita Hynes at 528-4860.
“ We also welcome males and females of 18 years and older to volunteer with this fantastic organization,” she said.
Cadet Matthew Mahoney of the 119 Vickers Vimy Navy Cadet Corps in Brigus received the Cadet Award of Excellence of Newfoundland and Labrador for 2009-10.