Bay Roberts brigade saves duplex from fire
A quick response by the Bay Roberts fire brigade helped save an attached residential building in the town on Saturday, Nov. 13.
The brigade was called to a fire in a duplex on Cable Avenue at about noon, and the kitchen in one of the homes was “going pretty good” when firefighters arrived, said Chief Clarence Russell.
Russell said the fire got inside the walls, making it difficult for firefighters to knock down the blaze.
Russell said the building is “close to 100 years-old.” Responders had to knock out some walls and cut a hole in the roof, Russell explained.
He said one side of the building sustained “quite a bit of damage,” while the second unit had smoke and water damage.
None of the occupants home at the time, he added.
Russell said it appears it was a chimney fire. He said the owner had a fire in the wood stove the day before the emergency, and it smoldered inside the wall for many hours.
Firefighters spent more than three hours at the scene, Russell said, and the building would undoubtedly have been destroyed if not for their efforts.
“ They did an excellent job,” Russell said of his members.
This photo from a fire in Bay Roberts earlier this month shows the extent of the damage.