Wood dis­pleased over Games’ snub

The Compass - - FRONT PAGE -

The deputy mayor of Bay Roberts was ex­press­ing dis­ap­point­ment last week fol­low­ing an an­nounce­ment that named Car­bon­ear-Har­bour Grace, Con­cep­tion Bay South and Clarenville as the next three hosts for the New­found­land and Labrador Games.

“I con­grat­u­late all the towns, but I must ex­press my dis­ap­point­ment,” Philip Wood said dur­ing a Jan. 25 town coun­cil meet­ing.

All three towns have pre­vi­ously hosted a games.

Bay Roberts had un­suc­cess­fully ap­plied to host the 2008 sum­mer games, which went to Corner Brook, and had also ap­plied to host the 2014 win­ter games, which went to Clarenville.

“ This would have been an op­por­tu­nity for us to build on our recre­ational fa­cil­i­ties. Now the ear­li­est we can get a games is 2018 or 2020,” Wood said.

Wood said some might ques­tion the abil­ity of Bay Roberts to host a win­ter games, but said “it could have been a truly re­gional event.”

Recre­ation Min­is­ter Terry French an­nounced Jan. 24 that Car­bon­earHar­bour Grace will host the sum­mer games in 2012. It will be the 20th an­niver­sary of the last time the two towns co-hosted the event.

Clarenville will host the win­ter games in 2014, while Con­cep­tion Bay South will host the sum­mer games in 2016.

Wood said he didn’t want to slight any other towns, but said it would have made more sense to bring the games to a town that had never hosted.

He added that town staff and lo­cal vol­un­teers were also “ very dis­ap­pointed” by the an­nounce­ment.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.