Carbonear to receive Manning Award
The Historic Sites Association of Newfoundland and Labrador is recognizing the Town of Carbonear with a Manning Award for Excellence in the Public Presentation of Historic Places.
The award honours the town’s Historic Walking Tours presented by the Carbonear Heritage Society.
The award was mentioned at the Feb. 7 regular council meeting.
Town administrator Cynthia Davis said afterwards the Walking Tours project, which will continue this summer, was funded by a grant from Cupids 400 Inc., which provided funding to other Trinity Conception communities for various projects during the Cupids 400 celebrations.
The Historic Sites Association will present the award at its 19th annual awards ceremony to be held March 21 in St. John’s.
Bert Parsons, vice-president of the Carbonear Heritage Society, wrote the script for the walking tours.
Students Julia and Megan Peddle, Joshua Chubbs, Verdon Merrigan and Brittany Puddester acted as tour guides, taking visitors on three different guided historic walking tours of the town.
Parsons and Florence Button also did some interpretation when student tour guides were unavailable.
Button said Loretta Oates was a regular volunteer interpreter with the tours. She played the part of Mrs. Janes who stood vigil in St. James Anglican Cemetery at the gravesite of her son who was struck down during the Harbour Grace Affray.
In other council news, council decided to donate $945 to the Canadian Red Cross Prepared Campaign for 2011.
That decision was also made at the Jan. 24 privileged meeting and the motion was ratified at last week’s regular public council meeting.
The amount is the first instalment of a five-year commitment of $4,725. The figure represents a contribution of $1 per capita. That’s the rate most municipalities had suggested as a “ fair and reasonable approach to our request for support,” said a spokesman for the Red Cross in a letter to the Carbonear town council.
Coun. David Kennedy, who chairs the town’s development committee, told council under its emergency preparedness plan, the Red Cross plans to set up local emergency supply stations throughout the island, and train local residents, so they don’t have to bring people in from St. John’s or other centres when emergencies strike.
While the Red Cross was out in full force during last fall’s Hurricane Igor, such disasters are not the only emergencies the Red Cross responds to on a regular basis.
In fact its plans to beef up its disaster response capacity throughout the province go back to 2009, when it made an initial pitch for assistance to Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador (MNL).
In a letter to councils in December, 2009, Robert Pike, a member of the Red Cross Prepared campaign wrote: “ The Canadian Red Cross has determined there is a need to significantly increase its disaster response capacity in Newfoundland and Labrador.”
At the time the need was based on “climate change, security threats and health related emergencies such as the H1N1 influenza.”
The Red Cross also wants to increase its provincial volunteer base to 700.
Snow clearing woes
Brian O’Grady, director of operations and public works, raised concerns about people clearing out their driveways and pushing snow onto public streets after the town’s snowclearing equipment has passed.
People with small plows attached to all-terrain vehicles appear to causing the biggest headaches for crews.
“ When these smaller machines attempt to push snow up against the larger banks left on the roadsides by the council equipment, the snow often ends up on the street,” O’Grady explained.
The town has received several complaints about residents pushing snow onto the streets.
O’Grady has been handing out memos prepared by town management reminding residents that, “shovelling and/or pushing snow into town streets is a violation of the Town of Carbonear snow clearing regulations.”
The memo reminds them that violations of the regulations carry fines of $100 for the first offence, $250 for the second and $500 for the third and subsequent offences.