Tourists to province top half-million mark
The provincial government announced on Friday that for the first time in Newfoundland and Labrador’s history, over half-a-million people visited the province.
According to data compiled by the Department of Tourism, Culture, and Recreation, 518,000 non-resident visitors came to the province in 2010, spending over $400 million dollars in the process.
Minister Terry French made the announcement in a speech at the 2011 Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador (HNL) Lookout! Tourism Summit. The event is HNL’s annual conference and trade show, held this year in St. John’s.
“ We are working with our partners to improve our research capabilities, develop new tourism products and experiences, and focus on quality assurance,” said Minister French.
He says efforts are ongoing to improve online marketing efforts, in part through the redesigned tourism website. Live for the last month, it has already won a Canadian E-tourism Award for Best Website.
Minister French says the department has also been working to increase collaboration with destination marketing organizations throughout the province.